Well - I'm Back!!

brchad

Threads
I wish I could say that it's a pleasure to be back.... but frankly, I was hoping I would never see you guys again! :laughing:

I know some of the "regulars" (for lack of a better word) here will remember me.... and my B&S 17.5 HP OHV engine problems! (See... I learned... OHV, not OHC.)

After all was said and done (plenty) .... my engine seemed to run fine. Now we hit the beginning of the mowing season and I'm having another stupid problem. (All of this so I can be rewarded with cutting grass.... something I've done for about 60+ years now!)

Okay... okay.... here's the latest.

The engine seems to run fine....sounds fine anyway. Here's what I'm noticing that seems different:

1. Running REALLY hot. I mean all of the paint is scorched on the muffler guard.... and late one evening, I saw that the exhaust manifold was GLOWING cherry red. I don't think it was ever that hot before. Do mufflers go bad somehow? It's so hot, it melted the rubber cover off of the spark plug connector.

2. Seems to be using MUCH more gas than it used to. (Remember, I just replaced the whole carb with the new Niki carburetor. (There's NO adjustment on this one... factory set.)

I still remember the great response (and, seriously, the quality troubleshooting help) that I had here last time. Thanks to all you guys! (And "P.C." disclaimer .... gals too, if there are any.)

Anyone have any similar experience.... or any ideas? As always.... any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Bill

Threads
Yep I remember you and that Crawfish or is it a Lobster ?

While you mower was sitting all winter a mouse or 2 homesteaded your engine under the air shroud....... Clean that out very well.

You will have to take the air shroud off tho ~!~!

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

cruzenmike

Threads
If it isn't a cooling issue (shroud, fins, etc), then it will be an issue of excess heat production. The valve clearance and timing is essential for dissipating heat through exhaust. If the engine itself is getting hot it could be running way too rich. Possibly the spark plugs being the wrong temperature or the oil viscocity being incorrect. Not a mechanic, but just thinking of the heat itself and getting it out of the engine.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey there Bill,
Good to hear from ya,... ya scoundrel, SOooooooo got your boobie caught in the wringer AGAIN EHhhh ?? well we're here to help ya get it runnin right, as Bo ( not to be confused with Boo (ME) ) mentioned, remove the engine shroud, and clean those cooling fins till ya can eat off em ( LOL ) I use a product called "Purple-Power" bought at Walmart & auto parts stores I put it in a spray bottle and use it full strength on REALLY heavy dirt BUT you have to do sections at a time and rinse right away, this stuff is strong, and if left on for awhile, WILL eat off paint !! a good STIFF auto parts cleaning brush and some small screwdrivers and whatever you want to get between the fins and everything else, small paint brushes are good on other area's. BE sure you cover the ENTIRE carburetor and intake manifold, with something like Saran wrap or water-proof whatever !! when rinsing off, I used a small pitcher of water rinse & repeat RINSE THOROUGHLY ... RINSE THROUGHLY !!!! now use a blower, to blow all the water off ( I used my Compressor with an air nozzle ) but a leaf-blower will also work, I then used spray type carb cleaner to do the OUTSIDE of the carb, ( which was in good running order ) you can do this first then do the engine, whichever you prefer, DOUBLE check or even change the engine oil ( for water ) remember to clean inside the shroud ! as far as the muffler, I never had one THAT hot, so maybe the internal baffle(s) got fried ?? that's your call to hear it after it's running ???? I THINK I covered this in enuff detail ( LOL ) here'a few pics of what I had on my 17.5 HP, when I first bought it ! hope this is helpful Bill, keep us up-dated, ..... Boo

DSCN1949.jpg...DSCN1948.jpg...DSCN1952.jpg

DSCN1953.jpg...DSCN1954.jpg...DSCN2463.jpgDSCN2464.jpg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Purple-P...75035&wl11=online&wl12=16778256&wl13=&veh=sem

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it isn't a cooling issue (shroud, fins, etc), then it will be an issue of excess heat production. The valve clearance and timing is essential for dissipating heat through exhaust. If the engine itself is getting hot it could be running way too rich. Possibly the spark plugs being the wrong temperature or the oil viscocity being incorrect. Not a mechanic, but just thinking of the heat itself and getting it out of the engine.

GOOD call Mike, .... ya beat me to it !

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Besides the above, make sure the engine cooling fan is actually spinning.

brchad

Threads
Yep I remember you and that Crawfish or is it a Lobster ?

While you mower was sitting all winter a mouse or 2 homesteaded your engine under the air shroud....... Clean that out very well.

You will have to take the air shroud off tho ~!~!

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

You gotta no fur shure dats a crawfish cher! We live in Virginia now (don't ask me why) so not too many mudbugs in the region. But da best damn bugs I ever eat came outta family owned ponds in Catahoula, La. (I'm just a honorary .... but my wife is a full blown Coonass!) Eunice.... dats up der near Sweveport yea? :cool:

The air shroud was the first thing I checked.... and yep... it was something like a mouse.... it's called a Vole in this part of the country. Nasty little vermin! I took the whole cover off and made sure everything was clear and clean. I had just put a new head on. So it's got to be something else.

I'm still tinkin' bout it dawlin!

brchad

Threads
Boo -

If I had an engine that looked like that one.... first of all, I wouldn't have even asked.... but for sure, I wouldn't put up pictures of it. HA!!

See my post to Bo above. Thanks anyway my friend. I appreciate it.

brchad

Threads

I just knew someone was going to suggest checking the damn valves! I swear.... I think I've done the "valve thing" on this engine 100 times at least. If I do them one more time I think I might drive the mower into the woods and leave it there. (Thanks.... I'll be checking them out.)

Interesting point about oil viscosity. The manual says to use regular 30W oil. It's not real hot up here like it is in Eunice. I remember thinking about 30W at the time.... and wondering if I read it wrong.

The spark plug is new... and per the manual. I checked the gap today. I don't think it's the plug.

brchad

Threads
Besides the above, make sure the engine cooling fan is actually spinning.

Okay.... you have me going on this one Darryl. If the engine is running.... and the plastic fan is bolted to the flywheel.... how could it not be turning? Am I missing something? (About the mower... I'm old enough to be missing some other things for sure!) :confused2: