Fast running and fuel in exhaust

AGriffiths

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone, new to the forum and ride on mowers. I was given a Murray mower a while back with a B&S 12.5 HP engine. It had been standing for a long time, I put a new battery on and got it running and it was ok apart from fuel dripping from the exhaust.

I took the carb off and gave it a good clean, put it back on and now the mower runs at high revs, but cuts out if I pull the throttle back, and there is fuel in the air filter housing and the exhaust.

What could be the cause of this, and how do I sort it out? I'm not afraid of spanners and rebuilt a few cars, but only one mower so far.

TIA

Andrew.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi everyone, new to the forum and ride on mowers. I was given a Murray mower a while back with a B&S 12.5 HP engine. It had been standing for a long time, I put a new battery on and got it running and it was ok apart from fuel dripping from the exhaust.

I took the carb off and gave it a good clean, put it back on and now the mower runs at high revs, but cuts out if I pull the throttle back, and there is fuel in the air filter housing and the exhaust.

What could be the cause of this, and how do I sort it out? I'm not afraid of spanners and rebuilt a few cars, but only one mower so far.

TIA

Andrew.

You said it was running OK at first, but leaking fuel, BEFORE you cleaned the carb, so it appears the carb is your issue, please post the engine Model info. ( usually found right on the engine ) so we can determine which carb we're discussing, ( see example ) .....

GET INFO.JPG

AGriffiths

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, sorry it's:

Model - 28V707
Type - 1179-E1
Code - 011119ZD

I had it running, then stopped to tighten the exhaust as it was rattling. The following morning there was a patch of what looked like oil under the front of the engine, but it was fuel. Took the exhaust off and there was fuel in the air intake and in the exhaust too. Put a new gasket on the exhaust and it appeared to stop the leak onto the floor, but wanted to see why there was fuel there in the first place, so took the carb off and cleaned it out with carb cleaner. Put it back in, loads of fuel dripping out, loads in the air intake and spitting out of the exhaust and it runs like mad, and the throttle position lever makes no difference but it will stop after I've moved all the way to slow.

Is there something stuck?

Many thanks

Last edited:

AGriffiths

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. It's an LMT 696160. Just taken it off again and will have another go at full strip down and clean up.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you put it back together omit the float bowl.
Crank the engine while holding the float up.
If the fuel comes out the float valve is not shutting the fuel off.
Generally they need replacing or the seat need replacing.

Also check that the bowl is in the right place as some can foul on the float if in the wrong position.

AGriffiths

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to you guys and your suggestions, I bought a refurb kit for the carb and rebuilt it this morning.

I took the breather assy off the side of the piston chamber and fuel poured out, then took the oil sump plug out and fuel poured out.....so I replaced the gaskets on those, put a new cylinder gasket on for good measure, replaced the valve seat, valve, foam bushes and springs, cleaned out the fuel from the oil sump and engine, put it all back together and.....

Started straight away, runs like a kitten.

Once again, thanks all!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks to you guys and your suggestions, I bought a refurb kit for the carb and rebuilt it this morning.

I took the breather assy off the side of the piston chamber and fuel poured out, then took the oil sump plug out and fuel poured out.....so I replaced the gaskets on those, put a new cylinder gasket on for good measure, replaced the valve seat, valve, foam bushes and springs, cleaned out the fuel from the oil sump and engine, put it all back together and.....

Started straight away, runs like a kitten.

Once again, thanks all!

Thanks for the reply, glad you're up and running, that's what we like to hear ! .. :thumbsup: