Oil Breather Assembly

m_shah93

Forum Newbie
Threads
HI All,

Could you please inform me what is the role of Oil breather assembly in my push mower? How to inspect and diagnose a faulty oil breather assembly?

Look forward for detailed response.

Thanks in advance

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The breather has two functions. One is to act as a one way valve to help maintain a vacuum in the crankcase and to let blowby and other vapors escape the crankcase. the other purpose is to help separate the oil vapor and collect it so it can be drawn back into the engine. There are two types of valves used. One is a fiber disc and the other is a metal reed system. The diagnostics on both are similar. Make sure the disc or read isn't broken or warped preventing proper sealing on the mating surface. If the valve doesn't seal it can allow excess oil usage, or in some rare cases the drainback hole vsn plug and it will fill full of oil and then start spit out the breather tube.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
YOU HAVE ( 3 ) different posts on this SAME issue, ......... it's CONFUSING to forum members to try answering multiple posts worded differently, about the same issue from the same person, stick to separate posts for a different issue

Pick one of your post's on THIS same issue, and stay with it !!! Start a NEW post, if a DIFFERENT issue !!

( NEED URGENT HELP Briggs and Stratton Engine )

( Oil Breather Assembly )

( White smoke and Oil Leak )

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I thought there was more then one post on the same problem....!

m_shah93

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry Guys, just to clarify, if I don't receive a response or need more answers should I continue the same thread? If yes Bobola could you please respond to my thread " White smoke"

Thank you ILENGINE for explaining.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry Guys, just to clarify, if I don't receive a response or need more answers should I continue the same thread? If yes Bobola could you please respond to my thread " White smoke"

I don't know what to tell you about which thread to pick, you now have people posting in the 3 different threads, WE AND YOU,.. have to check each one that you've posted, don't you now see what a PITA you have created for us AND yourself, UNDERSTAND THIS, the techs do their best to answer questions they know off the "top of their head" or can find in a manual, I myself try to find AND post as much relevant info as I think the response requires, sometimes I spend a few hours doing this, sometimes a few minutes, if someones asks a question it may take a few minutes or even a day to get a reply, you are NOT the only person seeking help, most techs here are using THEIR own FREE-TIME to help you folks wanting help, many have a full-time job or business and they ALL do their best to help as many as they can, posting on the same issue in multiple ways does NOT get us to answer any quicker, we will get to you when we can, also all the techs have different experience levels on different machines, and a lot of folks looking for help, seem to think that there's only been 4 or 5 lawn-mowers ever made, there's THOUSANDS ! maybe now you can understand why these things take time, IF you can't afford to wait for help from here I suggest you purchase a repair manual and tools and just take care of the problem.

Answering your last post, white smoke is USUALLY from oil, without pics of the broken part of the cylinder head I cant answer that , copper wire to tighten the fasteners for the breather is GARBAGE, a proper fix is to use a "heli-coil" repair, If you don't know what that is, you should have the local mower-shop do it or a machine shop.

Last edited:
Threads

I also answered to one of your threads / issues and sent you a diagram so you could direct us too the problem area..... Also someone else replied with yet another picture/ diagram.... No response to that one either ~!~!

m_shah93

Forum Newbie
Threads
@Boudreaux In Eunice La. Thank you for letting me know. I have seen it now and replied you with the latest update.

Thanks in advance.