Swapping Contents From One Block To Another Straightforward?

JonnyBlaze

Threads
  • / Swapping Contents From One Block To Another Straightforward?
Generally speaking...? 31 Series Intek. I'll post serial numbers when I get a chance. But was wondering if it's something a novice could tackle? I have good engine with broken head bolts and can buy a used empty block on eBay for $69 shipped...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not an overly difficult job to do.
patient and methodical will win the day

OTOH if the other block is good
1) try to drill the broken bolts out using left hand drills,
It is amazing how many times the 3rd of 4th stepped increase will free the bolt and screw it out
2) rectangular easy outs, they work so much better than the spiral ones.

I buy cheap masionary drills from the supermarket.
Regrind the carbide tip to a flat chisel point on the leading edge.
You now have a hard steel drill for a few pennies.

3) start the hole with a Dremel tool and the smallest round burr cause you can adjust it if like me the punch is always way off center.
When you have it where you want use a LATHE centre drill to start the hole.

Every ( not so ) handy man should have a set of centre drills.
It saves breaking all of those 1/16" , 3/32", 7/64" & 1/8" bits we unsuccessfully use to start holes with.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Not an overly difficult job to do.
patient and methodical will win the day

OTOH if the other block is good
1) try to drill the broken bolts out using left hand drills,
It is amazing how many times the 3rd of 4th stepped increase will free the bolt and screw it out
2) rectangular easy outs, they work so much better than the spiral ones.

I buy cheap masionary drills from the supermarket.
Regrind the carbide tip to a flat chisel point on the leading edge.
You now have a hard steel drill for a few pennies.

3) start the hole with a Dremel tool and the smallest round burr cause you can adjust it if like me the punch is always way off center.
When you have it where you want use a LATHE centre drill to start the hole.

Every ( not so ) handy man should have a set of centre drills.
It saves breaking all of those 1/16" , 3/32", 7/64" & 1/8" bits we unsuccessfully use to start holes with.
I already messed up the block trying to get the broken bolts out. Broken bolt removal is my nemesis.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I already messed up the block trying to get the broken bolts out. Broken bolt removal is my nemesis.

Well, if you REALLY messed up your block to the point of BER ( beyond economical repair) then you've answered your own question, the bad part about Evil-Bay is you're not there to actually SEE what you're getting, sometimes you do get a good deal, and then there are other's that "bend you over" ... AND they DON'T use the Vaseline either !! ..:confused:..:cool2:..:mur:

Tinkerer200

Threads
Generally speaking...? 31 Series Intek. I'll post serial numbers when I get a chance. But was wondering if it's something a novice could tackle? I have good engine with broken head bolts and can buy a used empty block on eBay for $69 shipped...

Be aware there are 2 drastically different 31 series engine blocks and they do not interchange. Will know better when you post the MODEL numbers of both. Depending on which bolt it is you might be able to use a "Thread Insert" once broken one is removed. Not in area adjacent to the push rod gallery.

I may have a good block for $20 plus shipping which would be around $15.

Walt Conner

Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Be aware there are 2 drastically different 31 series engine blocks and they do not interchange. Will know better when you post the MODEL numbers of both. Depending on which bolt it is you might be able to use a "Thread Insert" once broken one is removed. Not in area adjacent to the push rod gallery.

I may have a good block for $20 plus shipping which would be around $15.

Walt Conner

GEEEZZZ Walt, me thinks you could have posted the P/Ns and maybe the difference in your post, might save the "next-guy" a headache !! .. NO, .. not tryin to be a wise arse, just a curious question. Hope he buy's YOUR block if it's what he need's ..! ..:thumbsup:

Tinkerer200

Threads
GEEEZZZ Walt, me thinks you could have posted the P/Ns and maybe the difference in your post, might save the "next-guy" a headache !! .. NO, .. not tryin to be a wise arse, just a curious question. Hope he buy's YOUR block if it's what he need's ..! ..:thumbsup:

I don't know the part numbers and have no inclination to find them. When the Model numbers are posted check the IPLs if there is a difference it will be evident. Some difference is a completely different counter weight system, different shaped sump and matching difference in bloc, different crankcase breather, piston, and more. Haven't checked but I now think my block is for a 28 series. Could be used but not by a novice, again, depending on which 31 series it is.

Walt Conner

NorthBama

Threads

smart donkey.jpg :laughing:

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Ok. So I got another blown motor today and it has a good block, its already torn down. The connecting rod let go. Only had 52 hours on it. So the number on the valve cover is 31H777-0202-E1.

The motor I'm working on is 331877-0113-B1.

I went to erepalcementparts.com and the gasket set part number is the same.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/b...engine-parts-c-16758_17347_234322_234329.html

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/b...-engine-parts-c-16758_17347_17444_218440.html

Do you think I'm good to go? I found this gasket set which is a lot cheaper but the part number doesn't cross reference but looks the same?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/796181-Eng...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok. So I got another blown motor today and it has a good block, its already torn down. The connecting rod let go. Only had 52 hours on it. So the number on the valve cover is 31H777-0202-E1.

The motor I'm working on is 331877-0113-B1.

I went to erepalcementparts.com and the gasket set part number is the same.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/b...engine-parts-c-16758_17347_234322_234329.html

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/b...-engine-parts-c-16758_17347_17444_218440.html

Do you think I'm good to go? I found this gasket set which is a lot cheaper but the part number doesn't cross reference but looks the same?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/796181-Eng...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

AND what if it is WRONG ?? do you want the Hassle ?? Sometimes John, it's better to bite that ( $60.00-$70.00+ ) bullet and be assured you're getting the RIGHT set with ALL the needed gaskets , I know, I know,... it's easy to spend other folks money but I'm sure, there are several folks here that would agree with me. UNLESS you are 100% sure its the RIGHT & COMPLETE set I wouldn't go there ...... it's your call .... Good Luck , either way ... Boo

ALSO : check the P/N : I found it to be ( 796187 )

Last edited: