Update on the old MAC3516 Chainsaw

TheBishop

Threads
I spent many hours trying to get a McCullough 3516 chainsaw started -without success. It was one of two older model chainsaws that were donated to me from old friends. I was able to get the Homelite to run but the McCullough was a frustrating failure. I had to walk away from it several times to keep from tossing it in the trash. I had posted here, looking for helpful answers.
"Boudreaux in Eunice", a member here, contacted me last year and offered to fix the MAC3516. Eunice Louisiana is about an hour drive from where we live. I really wanted to do it myself but I realized I didn't have the knowledge needed to do the job.
Today, the wife and I drove to Eunice to meet Boudreaux and take him up on his offer, and he amazed me. I thought I knew a thing or two about small engines but Boudreaux had what it takes. He took the MAC3516 apart and found several things that I had missed. With his expert knowledge of the chainsaw engine world, he had the old MAC up and running in less than an hour.
Many, many thanks to Boudreaux and his wife for taking their precious time today and putting up with us to help someone in need.
Boudreaux knows his stuff.
I also learned a few things from Boudreaux about chainsaw engines that I didn't know.

Thanks ..... neighbor - " Boudreaux in Eunice "

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Always good to hear stories like this!

Tip of the hat to Boudreaux not just for being good mechanically, but good at helping people, too! Tip of the hat to you, too, for sharing the story!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Always good to hear stories like this!

Tip of the hat to Boudreaux not just for being good mechanically, but good at helping people, too! Tip of the hat to you, too, for sharing the story!

I too, would like to add my congrats to both parties, isn't it great to actually meet and greet someone you've met on the forum, I have met and visited with RogerB and slk230red and it's a great experience. .. :thumbsup:..:thumbsup:

SCD

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks ya'll ..... Just trying to help out............. ~!~!
Hi,
I’m having same problem with Mac 3516, dies after starting.
New fuel lines and filter and carb kit.
Tried dif carb that runs fine but not on this saw.
Wondered how you solved the problem TheBishop had on his 3516.
thanks,
steve

shuroko65

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I’m having same problem with Mac 3516, dies after starting.
New fuel lines and filter and carb kit.
Tried dif carb that runs fine but not on this saw.
Wondered how you solved the problem TheBishop had on his 3516.
thanks,
steve
Hey SCD,

I am new to this forum and I know that I wasn't who you were asking this question to, but I can try to help. I have dealt with several Mac 3200 chainsaws which is almost the same as the 3516. They can be difficult and extremely frustrating to get tuned right even after you replace the fuel lines and rebuild the carb. For what's its worth the rebuild kit for this saw is (I believe) an RB-39 from Zama. I would just take a look and make sure that the fuel lines are in their slots and they aren't being pinched by the case since this saw makes you split the entire thing in half to change the lines.

Also, if you have used the rebuild kit make sure to replace the needle as well if you didn't. I didn't in one of these and I couldn't get it to run and Rev up no matter what I did. Another thing that's important to do on this one is to use a straight edge with the metering diaphram off. It should barely graze that metering lever and not move down when run over by the ruler or whatever you're using to measure it. This is important because if its set too low not enough fuel can come in and set too high it'll flood the engine and run poorly or not at all. I would say this is probably the most important thing to check even though it's a pain to take it all apart again.

Once I got the new needle it straightened out after adjusting it. I am not sure how familiar you are with tuning the carbs on these but that is the most annoying part I think to this. You may have plastic limiters on the H and L screws that limit what you are able to do. They are set from the factory but after 25 years or more they will need to be dialed in with the adjustments. If you screw the idle in enough that should keep the saw running long enough for you to adjust the mixture screws. Be careful though because the chain (if on) will spin very fast if the break isn't on. If you need more info on this let me know and I can try to help more. Sorry if these are all things you've tried already. The new OEM carb is very expensive for these and as far as I know there are no aftermarket ones available either. I hope helps you. Have a great day

Last edited: