Hustler yellow paint

DJ660

Threads
Guys, IF you have paint peeling off of your mower deck and its not from hitting anything, see your dealer. Hustler had a paint issue and they are taking care of the problem units with a replacement deck shell. If you have paint coming off, see your dealer.

mooch91

Threads
Guys, IF you have paint peeling off of your mower deck and its not from hitting anything, see your dealer. Hustler had a paint issue and they are taking care of the problem units with a replacement deck shell. If you have paint coming off, see your dealer.

As the OP, I did not want to send anything out until I got it confirmed, but I did end up taking my mower in to the dealer yesterday even after completing the paint touch-up. They did confirm some powdercoat issues around the timeframe my mower was built and they've submitted pictures to Hustler for a warranty replacement deck shell. They said what I experienced is similar to other units they've dealt with in the past. They hope to have it approved and replaced within the week.

LeakyGasket

Threads
I went to my local auto paint shop with a piece of the mower, and they said it was Nason John Deere Industrial Yellow as a "base", but needed some tinting to match. A pint cost a lot. Don't remember exactly, but it hurt about $50, if I am close to remembering.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now I know you guys tend to ba a little fanatical but paint matching on a mower ?
really ?
In the shop I stock "roadside plant yellow".
So if a deck gets welded then it gets RSPY over the weld.
No matter what you do the deck will fade on the outside edges where it is full sun and not in the middle, so why get your knickers in a knot.
paint the whole deck after touching up the bad bits if you must.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm planning to paint my mower this summer, I call it .... Clear-Coated Rust !

PAINT 2.JPG

LeakyGasket

Threads
Now I know you guys tend to ba a little fanatical but paint matching on a mower ?
really ?
In the shop I stock "roadside plant yellow".
So if a deck gets welded then it gets RSPY over the weld.
No matter what you do the deck will fade on the outside edges where it is full sun and not in the middle, so why get your knickers in a knot.
paint the whole deck after touching up the bad bits if you must.

This I agree with. I would never do it again -- just some irrational exuberance when the mower was young (but I was old -- and logical -- I thought -- go figure).

retfr8flyr

Threads
I am another one with peeling paint on my mower deck. I used my Raptor SD for the first time this year and a large section of the deck paint just started peeling off. My mower is only 2 years old next month. I contacted my dealer and Hustler is sending out another deck and when it gets here my dealer will install it at no charge. That's great customer service.

bradmc

Threads
As the OP, I did not want to send anything out until I got it confirmed, but I did end up taking my mower in to the dealer yesterday even after completing the paint touch-up. They did confirm some powdercoat issues around the timeframe my mower was built and they've submitted pictures to Hustler for a warranty replacement deck shell. They said what I experienced is similar to other units they've dealt with in the past. They hope to have it approved and replaced within the week.

Did they share with you the timeframe of the defective powdercoating? Mine is a 2015 RSD 60. Problem is that I trimmed back the triangle in the discharge chute last fall. It was flaking in that area before I did that, but it would be hard to prove at this point. It is flaking really bad underneath though, and I've not made any mods there.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW vynal powder coating is about the worst finish you can put on a mower deck.
It has very poor adheason and as soon as it is breeched , water wicks under the powder coat and rust like mad.

The best stuff is POR 15 Chassis coat, over bare metal then whatever top coat you like.
Stuff I did 20 years ago is still holding up quite well with no peeling whatsoever.
It s a PIA to do the surface prep but if done to the instructions bullets bounce off.

mooch91

Threads
Did they share with you the timeframe of the defective powdercoating? Mine is a 2015 RSD 60. Problem is that I trimmed back the triangle in the discharge chute last fall. It was flaking in that area before I did that, but it would be hard to prove at this point. It is flaking really bad underneath though, and I've not made any mods there.

Mine is a 2015 Fastrak. Dealer asked me if it were a 2015-2016 when I called him on the phone, and had indicated this was a period of time Hustler had some issues with powdercoat.

I was concerned as I had already re-painted the section of deck with the worst issues. Thankfully I had pictures and a baggie of paint chips to bring with me when I dropped the mower off. I think a lot will depend on the dealer as photographs are required.