Day old Ariens Zero Turn Won't start

jjminch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I received my Ariens mower delivery yesterday. It was the 52" Ikon X Zero Turn with the Kawasaki FR series motor.

This happened before work, so I quickly started it, let it idle and run for a few mins. I used fuel from a gas can that was probably two months old premium, and only used a small amount of it. Anyways it started up easily and worked great.

Then 8 hours later I came home and wanted to use it. It cranked but wouldn't start. I added fresh premium gas. Checked obvious connections under the seat and didn't see anything. The safety features seem to work. As in no cranking without being in the seat or having parking brake on, etc.

I put it on a battery tender overnight in case the battery was low.

This morning the same issue. Cranks but won't start. Nothing has changed since delivery on it, and I'm doing the same actions for the "Start engine" process.

What do I need to start checking before I have to load it on a trailer? Bad fuel maybe? Is there some electrical kill switch that could be activated?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Instead of typing a long list, this is easier, you can eliminate the obvious, being it's a new machine and you did have it running.

CKLIST.PNG .. click to enlarge

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you check to make sure that the fuel isn't shut off? Choke all the way out? Check and make sure the spark plug wires are pushed on tight?

Edit: Never mind...Boobala posted a more complete list I didn't see.

Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you check to make sure that the fuel isn't shut off? Choke all the way out? Check and make sure the spark plug wire are pushing on tight?

Edit: Never mind...Boobala posted a more complete list I didn't see.

Didn't hurt a thing Darryl, 2 heads are better than 1 .....

jjminch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the list.

I didn't see a fuel shut off valve, nor does the manual list one. I'll check again when I get home.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check for a spark
No spark = safety ( usually blades left turned on )
Spark = fuel

you did check the oil didn't you ?
Low oil = no spark.

jjminch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks everyone, got her to run last night.

Apparently my 5 year old decided to "help" and filled it with 2 cycle gas. She looked like a Model T when it finally turned over.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
All's well, that end's well ........:thumbsup:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks everyone, got her to run last night.

Apparently my 5 year old decided to "help" and filled it with 2 cycle gas. She looked like a Model T when it finally turned over.

Our son used to "help" his mom by filling all the half empty shampoo bottles with water.