Mulching kit for grasshopper

ran

Threads
Hi everybody. I am thinking about buying the mulching kit for my out front 61" model #3461 mowing deck. One reason is that it blows clippings over me and the mower when the wind is blowing. Would the mulching kit eliminate that? And would welcome all good and bad feedback about the mulching kit. Also my grasshopper mower is two seasons old I believe 180 hours it is the 727k with kohler command pro ech749 EFI. The engine tends to use oil between oil changes maybe a pint or two of the 2quarts it holds This seems odd to me being newer engine. Engine runs fine no smoke no leaks. Anybody else have this engine? Whats your experience with yours? Thanks Randy

RjMaan

Threads
Well, whenever i used to cut the grass either manually or with the help of machine, i use the Corrugated Plastic Box in which i put the grass and then i used to through it away. In this way, the grasshopper inside the grass are also being thrown away. This plastic is really good and it can be used for any thing as well.

BWH

Threads
How many hours between oil changes? 180 hours is just broke in, did it use oil from the start or just start lately?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Its common to get grass blowing out the right front corner of the deck when mulching. You very well may find that you get more grass on yourself and the mower and you'll be limited by having to slow down in heavy growth and will make a mess if the grass is wet.

Oil consumption seems a little high. What are you using for oil? I find my machines burn a lot more if I run 10w-30 as opposed to straight 30.

ran

Threads
How many hours between oil changes? 180 hours is just broke in, did it use oil from the start or just start lately?

Yes its used oil from the start.I Changed it at 50hrs put 10w30 Valvoline in it. Then again at 113hrs this time with 30wt. Valvoline and now with 176hrs its used 12ounces of oil in 63hrs. Kohler book says to change every 100hrs. But it don't smoke or leak and it seems to run good so it could just need broke in. Thanks Ran

ran

Threads
Its common to get grass blowing out the right front corner of the deck when mulching. You very well may find that you get more grass on yourself and the mower and you'll be limited by having to slow down in heavy growth and will make a mess if the grass is wet.

Oil consumption seems a little high. What are you using for oil? I find my machines burn a lot more if I run 10w-30 as opposed to straight 30.

I already bought the mulch kit have not put it on yet probably wait till this grass slows down a bit its growing like crazy here in Ohio. First oil change I put 10w30 in the motor not sure how much used till the next change. Then I put 30wt. in it to see if it would make any difference in 63hrs its used about 12 ounces. Thanks Ran

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good plan to wait until the heavy spring growth slows for the mulch kit. Oil use doesn't sound alarming to me but I'm more of an operator than a mechanic so will defer to the small engine mechanics here for that.