Repairs WALKER MTSD CH20S Kohler KEY START works one time then have to jump solenoid.

Kurttb1

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / WALKER MTSD CH20S Kohler KEY START works one time then have to jump solenoid.
Sometimes the mower will crank-over with the key no problem and will start, however, if it doesn't start after cranking-over the first time, it will not try to crank anymore using the key until maybe the next day. I can leave the key on and jump the aux. solenoid and the mower starts no problem. Something is changing after the first engagement, which causes the electric not to reach the aux. solenoid/starter.

This is a 1993-94 model, so originally this mower had a wire going directly from the key switch to the starter/solenoid, however, I added an auxiliary solenoid in order to spare the Newly installed key switch from excess electrical heat from the direct starter/solenoid hook-up. I don't know of any reason this set-up should not work the same, (I believe the newer models actually addressed the wires overheating by including a secondary type of switch works like a solenoid.) The mower will crank with the key, normally on the first attempt to crank, then it will not crank with the key again until maybe the next day or so, cranking is quite sporadic and more often than not will not crank with the key. Always cranks and starts when key is on and jumping aux. solenoid.

Is anyone familiar with the kinds of electrical gadgets on these mowers which might do this?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / WALKER MTSD CH20S Kohler KEY START works one time then have to jump solenoid.
In my opinion, you have a bad battery and an extra part that is not needed. If you are having problems with a wire overheating from starting you need to fix that problem not add something that is just masking the problem.