hydraulic fluid reservoir

zitro819

Forum Newbie
Threads
I read previous postings on trying to fill the hydraulic fluid reservoir on a Hustler tractor mower. I recently had to charge the battery and for the first time lifted the cover. It was jammed with grass clippings. I assume this is a problem with running the machine as a mulcher. The grass just goes up into every nook and cranny it can find. And recommendations on how to avoid that?

Also, I noticed the reservoir looked completely empty. Having read that I needed to open up a relief screw to allow air out and fluid in, I was unable to find the screw/bolt. I wound up taking the machine in for servicing. I was told that the reservoir acts as an overflow for the fluid and does not ordinarily hold fluid as it is contained in the working system and is drained and changed
when serviced. So how does one determine if fluid is needed or if it is even in the machine? I am assuming the dealer does replace it as needed. But is there anyway to check level of fluid?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Put a sock on it.
Quite literally
A thick woolly one will work best.

You very well could be getting similar build up in the fuel tank as well so if you start getting fuel supply problems that will be the first place to look.
And yes mulching does make a mess.

Get a very long air duster and give the hydros & wheel motors a good going over as well.
Excessive debris build up will cause them to overheat , the oil to thin and wearing them out prematurely.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our Hustler section.

Mr. Mower

Threads
I read previous postings on trying to fill the hydraulic fluid reservoir on a Hustler tractor mower. I recently had to charge the battery and for the first time lifted the cover. It was jammed with grass clippings. I assume this is a problem with running the machine as a mulcher. The grass just goes up into every nook and cranny it can find. And recommendations on how to avoid that?

Also, I noticed the reservoir looked completely empty. Having read that I needed to open up a relief screw to allow air out and fluid in, I was unable to find the screw/bolt. I wound up taking the machine in for servicing. I was told that the reservoir acts as an overflow for the fluid and does not ordinarily hold fluid as it is contained in the working system and is drained and changed
when serviced. So how does one determine if fluid is needed or if it is even in the machine? I am assuming the dealer does replace it as needed. But is there anyway to check level of fluid?

Here's my take on this, it's just my opinion but I hope it helps or at least gives you some sort or direction.

As for the Hydraulic Fluid Reservoir, read your Owners/User manual and under Maintenance & Adjustment section, under Hydraulic System it should point out the important factors about this.

Don't know anything about messing with a "RELIEF SCREW" or such but again your mower just might be a different model, etc.?

Once after actually using your mower, after cutting the lawn and clean up and all, let the mower sit on a level surface for a few of hours to cool down the mower. Then check the Hydraulic Reservoir level. It should indicate right at the proper level FULL COLD line (again as stated in your Owners/User manual). The reason why I mentioned to leave it sitting after usage, for a few hours is because the Hydraulic Reservoir's tank is doing what it supposed to do. Hold a bit of excess hydraulic fluid (Overflow) once the mower has cooled.

After checking the Hydraulic Reservoir the fluid should show an indication at the FULL COLD line. If below the line then as instructed by the Owners/User manual you would need to add a bit of fluid to the Reservoir until the fluid level reaches right at the FULL COLD line and not beyond it.

I own a Hustler Raptor Flip Up with a 54' deck and that's how exactly mine is stated in it's owners manual concerning Hydraulic fluid and it's Reservoir.

Last edited: