Poulan Pro transaxle

KEVIN MCCUNE

Threads
this thing went pretty good when I first acquired it a year ago, now the plastic transmission doesnt seem to hold as well, is there an adjustment and are these things rebuildable? I have checked prices for new units and they are scary, did I buy a lemon or is there hope for this thing? that twin cylinder Briggs really sucks the gas compared to the old 20 hp single cylinder.
The mower in question is a PP24VA54,
Thanks , Kevin:smile:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
this thing went pretty good when I first acquired it a year ago, now the plastic transmission doesnt seem to hold as well, is there an adjustment and are these things rebuildable? I have checked prices for new units and they are scary, did I buy a lemon or is there hope for this thing? that twin cylinder Briggs really sucks the gas compared to the old 20 hp single cylinder.
The mower in question is a PP24VA54,
Thanks , Kevin:smile:

NOT knowing which MODEL trans you have, I'm only guessing you have a "General Branded" trans. See if any of this info helps...

ID UR TRANS.JPG...SEAL Pg 1.JPG...SEAL Pg 2.JPG...GT TRANS LUBE  ( need 3 LBS ).JPG

http://services.generaltransmissions.com/en/service-manual.html

There is a supplement to the 800 series trans, YOU have to search it on line ( I'm unable to post a pdf file on here) search General Transmission supplement # 39010-B

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is nothing inside the box but a diff and a dog clutch that reverses the drive direction.
All of the speed controlling is done via the pulleys on top of the box that have variable pitches ( change diameter compared to each other ).

They are very sensitive to belt quality & wear.
If you run for long periods at the same speed the pulleys have been known to get little wer grooves in them , preventing them moving in & out .
The variable pulleys are prone to dust clogging.

General have been very nice to me , answered all my questions ( eventually ) and even organised some parts for (non servicable ) self propelled transmissions.

Like it or not , unless we can convince ride on owners to spend more money on better quality ( President Trump would become humble & politically correct first ) the this is the way things will go.
The market gets what the markets pays for so cheaper & nastier is the way we "advance" into the future.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I like the concept of the GENERAL trans., I'd like to see what it would do IF, made with good quality METAL parts, might surprise a lot of us, (they use this type of trans, in motorcycles, snowmobiles, and even cars, ) i think improvements are needed, but time will tell.

KEVIN MCCUNE

Threads
Did you get your issue solved ..???

No I am just going to honestly trade it off,I realize this mower wasn't exactly what I needed anyway, thinking about trading it on a "FastMower" it seems the cheap hydrostats are fairly durable, one thing I did find out( it has a nice mowing deck) was that this 54 inch mowing deck was too wide for the uneven ground I mow.:cool:

KEVIN MCCUNE

Threads
Keep us posted !

:thumbsup: I am hot and cold,I probably will get the fast mower( basically because it is fast). On the pulling part, I might get my nephew to rig Me up an old chassis to pull a cart with 12 hp and up with taller tires for a little more clearance for firewood detail Might leave a mowing deck on with heavy blades to knock down sprouts and weeds with, I really need a Kubota or a Deere, something like that as much as I would like too, I can't justify it