First time buyer - upgraded budget - John Deere, Simplicity, or ....?

TSR6

Threads
  • / First time buyer - upgraded budget - John Deere, Simplicity, or ....?
Not all that long ago, I was really looking at the lower end units. My first post on here only got a couple replies - but quality ones that made me question my intended route. I was originally looking at a Cub Cadet XT1 or XT2 (likely the XT2 at the time) - but now we've decided that maybe we should upgrade the budget a little bit and get a better unit.

Now I'm looking primarily at the John Deere X380 or x384 (worth the upgrade to 4-wheel steer? maybe not.... ) - and a Simplicity Broadmoor..... and/or any other suggestions you can throw my way??

I'd rather stay in the $<5K range which the JD falls within. The Simplicity Broadmoor MSRP is above that, but not sure what the sell price on these are (havent called). Both units appear to have upgraded transmissions which is really the reason for my increased budget. Upon my research I'm thinking the K46 isn't the way to go on my lot for longevity, and I can't say that the next house would have a flatter lot or not (I live in a glacial path. It's hilly and rocky)

Talking to the John Deere dealer - the Kawasaki engine is said to be a huge plus over their other models - a lot quieter, smoother. Simplicity has a Briggs - any thoughts between the two powerplants?

The other plus is that the simplicity has the built in stripping kit (rollers), where I would consider the $110 upgrade on the JD in the future. Certainly not necessary - my lawn needs more work before stripping would be fully worth it. I hope to have it whipped into shape by fall (it's already much much better than how I purchased it - a lot of hard work)

I'm really debating on the bagging systems, mulching, or just side discharge. My push mower now is a mulcher/bagger - but now with a young kid to play in the yard (and dogs) I'm really liking the idea of bagging more. It's just a PITA to deal with the clippings afterwards (and now our township stopped collecting yardwaste) - but I do have an area on the back of the lot I could dispose of clippings in. Thoughts here?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We don't get the Simplicity down here.
Ride on prices are 2 to 3 times the USA price in $ Aus so they are just too dear. So when the franchise came up there were no takers.
JD sell their mowers through the existing farm equipment dealership and piggy back the lawn care warehouse with the Ag equipment warehouse so comparatively JD mowers & parts are a lot cheaper than other brands to the point I oft fit JD parts to Husqvarnas and their clones because the JD price is about 1/2.

Now I service a few X series mowers and I really like what I see.
When it comes to engines the Kawasaki is supposed to be the top of the line.
However the best out of a mediocre barrel is till mediocre and down here kawasaki parts are very expensive compared to Kohler & Briggs.
When you get to the more expensive machines they do have a much better engine as there is more of a margin so they usually have better electrics and much better cranks.
Briggs owns Simplicity so you are only going to get a Briggs engine in it but it should be one of the better specifications.

What ever decision you come to you have made a good decision by going up market.
And take advantage of the finance packages available.

TSR6

Threads
We don't get the Simplicity down here.
Ride on prices are 2 to 3 times the USA price in $ Aus so they are just too dear. So when the franchise came up there were no takers.
JD sell their mowers through the existing farm equipment dealership and piggy back the lawn care warehouse with the Ag equipment warehouse so comparatively JD mowers & parts are a lot cheaper than other brands to the point I oft fit JD parts to Husqvarnas and their clones because the JD price is about 1/2.

Now I service a few X series mowers and I really like what I see.
When it comes to engines the Kawasaki is supposed to be the top of the line.
However the best out of a mediocre barrel is till mediocre and down here kawasaki parts are very expensive compared to Kohler & Briggs.
When you get to the more expensive machines they do have a much better engine as there is more of a margin so they usually have better electrics and much better cranks.
Briggs owns Simplicity so you are only going to get a Briggs engine in it but it should be one of the better specifications.

What ever decision you come to you have made a good decision by going up market.
And take advantage of the finance packages available.

I hope to never need any engine parts. I've seen a lot of good reviews on the JD X3** series - and am leaning towards the X380/384 since it at least has the K58 versus the K46 units.

It looks like the Simplicity tractors use the K57

I definitely plan on taking advantage of the financing. Looks like 0% for 12 months is the way to go.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And what I forgot to mention, forget about the 4 wheel steer.
Unless that are substantially better built and substantially better designed, they are just a money pit.
There is no great advantage to the average home owner.
In the run there is about a dozen of them that the owners can not sell cause they don't work and can't be fixed because parts are not available.
While none of them are JD's all of the owners seriously regretted buying them.

Similar with 4 WD.
Unless you are mud pluging or pushing a lot of snow the only mowers that are really worth getting the 4 wd option on are the articulated mowers

TSR6

Threads
And what I forgot to mention, forget about the 4 wheel steer.
Unless that are substantially better built and substantially better designed, they are just a money pit.
There is no great advantage to the average home owner.
In the run there is about a dozen of them that the owners can not sell cause they don't work and can't be fixed because parts are not available.
While none of them are JD's all of the owners seriously regretted buying them.

Similar with 4 WD.
Unless you are mud pluging or pushing a lot of snow the only mowers that are really worth getting the 4 wd option on are the articulated mowers

I know someone with a 4-wheel steer from about 5 years ago. They haven't had any issues with it yet - so it was something I at least considered. I just havent decided if it's worth the upgrade from the standard unit.