Gravely ZT HD 48 vs. Ferris 400S

foureyedbuzzard

Forum Newbie
Threads
To go completely overboard on the mowing of my 1.25 acres, I have boiled down my choices to between a Gravely ZT HD 48 w/23 hp Kawasaki FR691, at $4639 vs. Ferris 400S w/21.5hp Kawasaki FR651, at $4299. Both are 48" 3 blade fabricated decks. The Gravely is $1056 off MSRP, the Ferris is $700 off MSRP.

I like the suspension on the Ferris over no suspension on the Gravely as I have some back and shoulder issues.
I was able to control the Ferris a little better, but honestly can't explain why. It just felt more controllable to a new ZT user. Maybe it's a bit slower or the controls are a bit less "touchy".
Gravely seems a bit more ruggedly built with box frame vs. channel, larger front tires, better floor plate and access.
Gravely has a center anti-scalp wheel, the Ferris doesn't, but this may be because of how the deck works with the Ferris suspension.
Both have pretty robust spindles w/grease fittings.
I think the Ferris has ZT2800's vs ZT3100's on the Gravely.

Gravely has higher hp rated engine, but if you look at Kawasaki's FR engine specs, (insert the usual http stuff) kawasakienginesusa.com/compare/engines/40,41,43,42,39 , it's really difficult to come to any other conclusion but that the 651 is a detuned 691/730. Same bore, stroke, displacement, comp ratio, etc. Maybe different cams, carbs, or ???. Anybody know how Kawasaki rates these engines?

Beyond all that, any comments on the two good or bad would be welcomed. They both seem like great mowers. I'm just a little stuck pulling the trigger. Thanks!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think you'll be happy with either of them. Keep in mind that the Ferris suspension has some wear parts (bushings). At your projected rate of use it's probably not a big deal though.

foureyedbuzzard

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think you'll be happy with either of them. Keep in mind that the Ferris suspension has some wear parts (bushings). At your projected rate of use it's probably not a big deal though.
Yeah, either of them may well outlast me :rolleyes: :frown: :laughing:

cruzenmike

Threads
I am not an advocate of one engine make over others, but if I saw a Honda in any ZTR other than a Cub Cadet I would think about getting it. Anyway, when I spoke to my local dealer about the 400s, they actually sell more of the Briggs powered units than the Kawasaki. They stated that "they have seen more issues with the FR engines than the Briggs commercial engines." I would guess that you really don't see a noticeable improvement in the Kawasaki over the Briggs until you get to the FS or FX series, but then Briggs has the Vanguards (which I have and absolutely LOVE). I cannot speak for the specific models you are looking at, but my step-dad has Ferris IS2100 which is a BEAST. Although quite different than the 400s, Ferris has good build quality, the suspension is useful for some and the seat is quite comfortable. That's all I have to say about that....

Mike

foureyedbuzzard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank Darryl G and cruzenmike for replying. I wound up buying the Ferris, mostly because it has the suspension needed for my bumpy yard and my back problems. I'll post a review of the mower here once I get to cut the lawn next week.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
You're welcome and congratulations! Yes, please do come back and share your experience with it after you get some seat time on it. I've never operated a mower with suspension but I'm so glad I upgraded to the suspension seat on my Bob-Cat. I too have back issues and it makes a big difference. I imagine full suspension is even better.

keith204

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you still like the Ferris?

I'm in the same boat. I tried the Gravely ZT HD and liked it a lot. But, my lawn is really bumpy/hilly/ditchy and the Ferris 400s sounds quite nice. Also, the Ferris is nearly $1000 cheaper, and I'm hoping for cheaper as long as the mower is still reliable.

foureyedbuzzard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you still like the Ferris?

I'm in the same boat. I tried the Gravely ZT HD and liked it a lot. But, my lawn is really bumpy/hilly/ditchy and the Ferris 400s sounds quite nice. Also, the Ferris is nearly $1000 cheaper, and I'm hoping for cheaper as long as the mower is still reliable.
So far, so good. I've mowed twice, maybe 4 hrs total. But, even with the suspension, my yard is too bumpy (clay soil, drainage issues, and horses used to run here) to run full speed. I typically am mowing at maybe 5 to 6 mph max. I'm also considering adding a seat suspension to make the ride even smoother. Cut quality is very good.

Dysart316

Forum Newbie
Threads
Where are you located and getting this price range at?

Threads
Farris parts wearing out.... We have landscapers that use them 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Been selling them for 5 years a have not yet to have one come in for repair. Just services.