Governor issues

LBJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Briggs model 44p977 replaced bad governor and reset. Motor will still not idle. It runs at about 3/4 throttle. At wits end.

cruzenmike

Threads
After replacing the governor, did you do the static and dynamic governor adjustment? Also, assuming that you had to remove the cables to install the new governor, did you ensure that they are tight enough in the clamps? Lastly, did you reuse the springs, and if so, are they worn out maybe?

Luffydog

Threads
When looking at your engine put your hand on the governor arm push up but not hard. If it moves easy ok but if not you might have set the governor wrong. The engine off governor will be wide open and when started go to idle. So if you push on the governor arm and you feel a lot of resistance it is set wrong. Hold throttle wide open and turn the governor shaft the opposite way and tighten and try your feel test it should move free and come place into place after letting go.

LBJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
After replacing the governor, did you do the static and dynamic governor adjustment? Also, assuming that you had to remove the cables to install the new governor, did you ensure that they are tight enough in the clamps? Lastly, did you reuse the springs, and if so, are they worn out maybe?

Didn't remove cables. I adjusted the governor arm and shaft. The gov spring is new and the governed idle spring is alo new. I'm not sure how to adjust the springs.

Tinkerer200

Threads
"Hold throttle wide open and turn the governor shaft the opposite way and tighten"

Not sure what this means but you loosen the governor arm clamp, hold throttle wide open, turn the governor shaft coming out the side of the engine clockwise and re-tighten the clamp.

I can send you a Service (Overhaul) Manual for this engine if you don't have one and want one. Address below, put in proper format and remind me what you want, engine model etc .

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

LBJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
"Hold throttle wide open and turn the governor shaft the opposite way and tighten"

Not sure what this means but you loosen the governor arm clamp, hold throttle wide open, turn the governor shaft coming out the side of the engine clockwise and re-tighten the clamp.

I can send you a Service (Overhaul) Manual for this engine if you don't have one and want one. Address below, put in proper format and remind me what you want, engine model etc .

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

i DID THIS ITS THE OTHER GOVERNOR SETTING IM NOT SURE OF. THE DYNAMIC GOVERNOR SETTING.

Tinkerer200

Threads
A Service Manual will tell you how to do this. Simple matter of tab bending.

Walt Conner

cruzenmike

Threads
What was the reason for replacing the governor in the first place? I ask because I was on this road a year ago with my 44M777.

LBJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
What was the reason for replacing the governor in the first place? I ask because I was on this road a year ago with my 44M777.

The governor exploded in the crankcase.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Did you check that the shaft, that the governor runs on was tight in the block casting before installing new governor assý? Some came loose which could be the reason the governor disintegrated in the first place. .

Walt Conne