Governor issues

cruzenmike

Threads
That's what happened to mine. I think it all started when I tried to adjust the governor the first time. If the governor assembly on the outside of the engine is properly adjusted, and all of your cables and linkages are properly for and adjusted, the governor must work. The only exception to this is if there is still something wrong inside the crankcase. When the bottom end of the engine was apart did you replace the governor shaft? If the sail on the shaft was bent or damaged it would cause the external governor assembly to operate incorrectly.

Tinkerer200

Threads
That's what happened to mine. I think it all started when I tried to adjust the governor the first time. If the governor assembly on the outside of the engine is properly adjusted, and all of your cables and linkages are properly for and adjusted, the governor must work. The only exception to this is if there is still something wrong inside the crankcase. When the bottom end of the engine was apart did you replace the governor shaft? If the sail on the shaft was bent or damaged it would cause the external governor assembly to operate incorrectly.

That shaft is not a replacement item have to be a master machinist to get it to stay. OR a Master Tinkerer at least.

Walt Conner

cruzenmike

Threads
Luckily I did not have to replace or repair the shaft on my ELS, but she. I had the shop replacing some seals and gaskets on my Vanguard I had them do the governor shaft seals. Obviously it was not a challenge for the mechanic but either way it is not a time consuming job once you have the engine apart. Like with the governor gear, it took more time to get the old gasket scraped off the crankcase than to repair the governor gear.

Tinkerer200

Threads
" I had them do the governor shaft seals. Obviously it was not a challenge for the mechanic"

The governor shaft I was referring to is the axle the governor assý runs on as I said and has no seals.

Walt Conner

cruzenmike

Threads
I meant "governor crank" when I said "governor shaft." I always make that mistake when making reference to it. The shaft that the gear rides on, if damaged, is a PITA to repair. The governor crank is not so much. So going back to what I said before, the sail on the crank could be damaged in the case of the OP.