7 hp kohler horse tiller no spark

Escavader

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi first time poster.ive changed the points,gapped at.20,changed the condensor.pulled the flywheel,changed the coil.,inspected all the wires new plug still no spark.im lost help.got the coil on eBay guy said it was a techcumsah works on kohler.it looked the same.had a short wire and long wire as well as plug wire.ran short to ground,long to points.sodered in I have nothing .

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hate to tell you this, but in my 50+ years of working on small engines, I have never heard that you can replace a Tecumseh carb will work on a Kogler engine. I think you got taken or I have something to learn.

Escavader

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hate to tell you this, but in my 50+ years of working on small engines, I have never heard that you can replace a Tecumseh carb will work on a Kogler engine. I think you got taken or I have something to learn.
Not carb the coil

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Coil, Carb doesn’t make a difference, Tecumseh parts don’t go on a Kohler engine or vice versa.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For the coil to work the magnets have to be passing the coil poles as the points are opening and have to close just before they have passed.
The magnet on the flywheel is fixed by the position of the key.
The position of the coil is fixed by the mounting bolts
The timing of the points cam is determined by the key way.

For one makers parts to work on another mower all 3 of these have to be the same.
Now I fit aftermarket parts and if you could make one that would work on more than one engine the aftermarket catalogue would only list one universal coil.
The fact Stens, Rotary, Prime Line all list different parts for all of them tells me they are not interchangable.
You have been dudded.
Go back to evilbay and leave him negative feed back,
Be polite
Just state " vendor has no idea about what he is selling and falsely advertises them"

Post your engine details or if you can not find them some photos of the engine and we will try to work out what you need.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bert I suspect it is the K161 or K181 which Kohler shows the coil is no longer available. Stens list the one for Tecumseh but not Kohler with no cross between them.

Escavader

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bert I suspect it is the K161 or K181 which Kohler shows the coil is no longer available. Stens list the one for Tecumseh but not Kohler with no cross between them.
I've given up.i got 90 bucks in electrical ,I'm convinced the coil won't work.ive yanked the motor,and just bought a predator to replace it.im gonna sell the Kohler for just what I put in it,I'll sell it on a local site I've got.
Good reviews on the predator, lots of people have made the change ,no more points,and less money for new motor than the OEM coil IF I could find one.