Zero Turn stopped driving, but motor and blades still work

cjuer13

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Zero Turn stopped driving, but motor and blades still work
Someone mentioned this might get a better response here than in the Craftsman thread, so I apologize for two similar posts.

I was mowing with my one-year-old Craftsman Z600 (zero turn) for the first time this season, and about 20 minutes in, it stopped in its tracks. The engine and blade were still going, but the wheels would not spin when I gave it throttle. Tried again a little later, same issue. Both belts are intact. There was no impact or funny noises. The only issues that come to mind:

-Gas is a little old, but the engine is running fine and it starts right up
-There were some twigs and acorns rattling around the deck when it stopped, but nothing serious, and why would that affect the locomotion anyway?
-It's about 10 hours overdue for an oil change

I don't even know what else to check - any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The only thing that will effect both drives at the same time on a Z turn is either the drive belt has broken, or came off, or all the oil had leaked out of a central tank and have now run the system drive. But I suspect that is not the case, so recheck that drive belt tucked way up inside the frame, and make sure it is tight and turning with the engine running.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:
Answered in the craftsman section.

cjuer13

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok - I looked and the belt isn’t turning with the engine on. So there’s a start...gonna do my best to see what else I can see. Thanks for your help so far! (And I checked the other thread - bypass valves are in place)

cjuer13

Forum Newbie
Threads
Drive belt slipped off! What’s the easiest way to get at the underside of a big ole mower like this? Jack stands?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Anything to get it up so you can access the belt safety without it possibly falling on you.

Luffydog

Threads
Also check in the pulleys for debree that often get in the pulleys and throw the belt. If you have a good come along and a safety chain lift up from back end while front wheels on ground and good safety there is key.

cruzenmike

Threads
Maybe the belt simply lost tension? Idler spring broke? With having two separate hydrostatics, it's not likely that both failed at the same time. If the belt is actually turning and making contact with the hydrostatic pulleys then at least one wheel should move. With the machine running, on the ground, and the parking brake set you should still be able to peek under the back side and see the drive belt moving. Just some thoughts. . . .