Toro SFS 36 Proline Blades not Engaging

badninja

Threads
Hello, I found a 2006 Toro SFS 36 I'm thinking about purchasing. It has a Kohler Command Pro 15 on it. The person is asking $600 for the mower and some jungle wheels. However the reason for the low price is that the blades wont engage. He said he has replaced the PTO clutch. PTO switch, belt, and blades trying to figure the problem out. He said it happened once before, at that point he replaced the PTO clutch and that fixed it. No luck this time though. He says everything else functions perfectly, he's just tired of dumping money into it at this point and doesn't need it anymore.

I dont know much of anything about Walk Behinds and I dont have a clue what may or may not be wrong to cause the blades to not engage. At this point I would like to know what the problem could be. And if the purchase is still worth it and at the most how much more money am I looking at potentially dumping into it to get the blades to function properly?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I usually suspect safety switches first but if the mower will start and travel then I don't think it can be that. Maybe a deck pulley or spindle is locked up?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
First, we need to know what happens when the blades are engaged. Engine dies or it just changes nothing.

NorthBama

Threads
we are off to a good start here with some good helpers. I think 600 is a good price unless the thing is all rusted down. First thing i would find an electrical diagram to check voltage at different points.

badninja

Threads
He says it stays running and just does nothing when you pull the PTO switch.

NorthBama

Threads
not sure with the walk behind the rider with switch on sitting in seat without engine running you can operate the pto and hear it click. You can disconnect the wires from the pto and check for voltage a good place to start.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fuse, fuse holder, relay, broken/chaffed wire, improperly installed/adjusted clutch are possibilities. I can't imagine it being a problem that can't be worked out.