Mower deck What to do with these dang spindles

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
When i ordered new spindles for the Cub, ordered these from amazon, Description said they fit Cub cadet LTX1040. Yet, the shaft is too short and when i got both of them the pulleys were different sizes. I have since got the right spindles. The guy i ordered them from wants me to pay return shipping and a 10% "re stocking FEE" or something like that, soo that ain't happening. Any ideas what they *might* fit!? And keep in mind, both same Part #'s but pulleys different size.
DSC_8199.jpgDSC_8200.jpgDSC_8202.jpgDSC_8203.jpgDSC_8204.jpg

I did find some very similar to these and said they fit a : Troy-Bilt 618-0624, 618-0659, 918-0624, 918-0624A

Threads
Contact Amazon and they will make it right....... They will contact the seller and set him straight.... He sent you the wrong parts... He will do right by you if he wants to keep his store open...........

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is a reason why I keep advising to pay the little extra and buy parts from a real mower shop.
The Amazon "shop" could be nothing more than a few pallet spaces in one ( or across multiple ) warehouse and a slick web site.
The "vendor" pulls some parts from a surplus auction of off a Chinese web site and sends them down to the warehouse to see to mugs like you.
Most have absolutely no idea of what they are selling, where it goes & what it actually fits, they are just office johnnies cashing in on you.

Always check the "contact us" for a street address then google earth the address and see what is there.
If it is not a shop or factory with mowers everywhere, go some where else.
The big danger and this IS REAL, is a lot of defective parts find their way to online shops ans should those spindle fail and do big damage to you, your family , your car, your house, passers by etc etc etc.
There will be no one to carry the can but YOU because "Mikes Magnificant Mower Discounters" does not exist.
Evilbay is the same , only worse.
I checked with my insurer and my public liability isurence would be considered null & void should this happen to me because I had been neglient in fitting parts from an unauthorised source.

NorthBama

Threads
Contact Amazon and they will make it right....... They will contact the seller and set him straight.... He sent you the wrong parts... He will do right by you if he wants to keep his store open...........

i agree with you

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

I have no freaking idea why i didn't think of that! :confused2:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
There is a reason why I keep advising to pay the little extra and buy parts from a real mower shop.
The Amazon "shop" could be nothing more than a few pallet spaces in one ( or across multiple ) warehouse and a slick web site.
The "vendor" pulls some parts from a surplus auction of off a Chinese web site and sends them down to the warehouse to see to mugs like you.
Most have absolutely no idea of what they are selling, where it goes & what it actually fits, they are just office johnnies cashing in on you.

Always check the "contact us" for a street address then google earth the address and see what is there.
If it is not a shop or factory with mowers everywhere, go some where else.
The big danger and this IS REAL, is a lot of defective parts find their way to online shops ans should those spindle fail and do big damage to you, your family , your car, your house, passers by etc etc etc.
There will be no one to carry the can but YOU because "Mikes Magnificant Mower Discounters" does not exist.
Evilbay is the same , only worse.
I checked with my insurer and my public liability isurence would be considered null & void should this happen to me because I had been neglient in fitting parts from an unauthorised source.

Only problem is, all the mower stores here are Cub dealers and they list 80 bucks per spindle. And i can not afford that.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can not afford or just don't want to pay ?

Next there will be a mower repair shop somewhere near by that sells certified after market parts.
Rotary, Oregon , Stens & Prime Line all list those spindles for around 1/2 to 2/3 the Cub price.
These are certified spares ( usually from the same factory ) and only marginally more expensive than the Amazon sellers.
Then there are dozens of shops like Jacks, Messicks, Barrets , Small Engine Warehouse, Small Engine Suppliers ,etc etc, that are real, have real phone numbers , real customer support and a real physical presence.

If you are a ligit repairer with a tax number they all offer trade prices and even I get a trade discount from some of them.

And finally, unless one of the legs is broken there is no reason to replace the entire assembly as all the above suppliers flog rebuild kits.

The example I like to use is spindle bearings.
I charge $ 18 each for them and use Chinese bearing bought from my wholesaler.
A customer thought I was ripping him off cause he could buy the same 6203 & 6205 bearings off ebay for $ 5 a pair with free postage.
The fact that the numbers are a size and not a duty rating was beyond him .
I agreed to fit them if he acknowledged he supplied the bearings & I am absolved from warranty claim.
So he decided to fit them himself and save another "rip off" $40.
Needless to say the bearing failed in fairly short time when his daughter was mowing the grass with the I plugs in her ears so she did not hear or notice what was happening till she turned around and saw the mess on the grass, chopped up sprinklers and torn up lawn.
In the mean time the pulleys had chewed about 3/4 " off the top of the spindle housings , the blades had chewed through the deck and had even been smashing into each other.
A replacement deck was $ 200 ( used ) + $ 90 ( spindles ) + $ 90 ( blades ) + $ 85 ( belt ) + $15 ( springs ) + $120 ( labour ).
The bearing when removed were blue, with no sign of any grease in them. The 6205's had a plastic cage which had melted ( shopping trolley wheel bearings ) .

These bearings were listed on Ebay as fitting all Husqvarna 3 bolt and 4 bolt spindles, all Craftsman & McCulloch spindles.
HE complained to Ebay( who did nothing ) & Paypal ( who refunded the $ 10 ).

He tried to put negative feed back onto the seller but it was too late.
The seller had a 99,9 feedback rating.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Can't afford too.

We had to replace the whole assembly because my uncle awhile back had "someone" put blades on it, and the blades weren't the star pattern, and overtime it smashed down the stars on the spindle, so we couldn't put the new blades on.

Next time, I'll try to look for the rebuild kits. I didn't even know they made them:confused2:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can't afford too.

We had to replace the whole assembly because my uncle awhile back had "someone" put blades on it, and the blades weren't the star pattern, and overtime it smashed down the stars on the spindle, so we couldn't put the new blades on.

Next time, I'll try to look for the rebuild kits. I didn't even know they made them:confused2:

Don't throw your old ones out.
Replacement spindles are really cheap.
Just be careful as some are made in CHina and have metric threads while the USA ones have UNC.

If you go to any of the major suppliers like parts tree type in your Cub number ( the one that starts with 13 ) and look up the IPL you will see the shaft is a single replacable item.
https://www.partstree.com/parts/cub-cadet/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/ltx1040-13ax90ar010-13ax90ar009-13ax90ar056-13ax90ar256-13rx90ar056-cub-cadet-lawn-tractor-2009/mowing-deck-42-inch/
From there search using the part number 938-04292
It is worthwhile to go to the Stens, Rotary , Prime Line & Oregon web sites because some times they do not come up in searches.
In this case it looks like it is only available as a genuine MTD part https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/mtd/73804292 with prices ranging from $ 19 to $ 42.
In fact you should always consult the IPL before you put a wrench on anything.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When posting it is always good to come here first with your problem before you do anything
So if we knew some clot had fitted the non timmed blades ( round hole ) and messed up the spindle we could have suggested some work arounds or at the very least furnished you with the above information.

Bad news is the Tardus is a piece of BBC fiction so we can not go back in time but hopefully you will prove to be differnt from 90% of the population and learn from this mistake thus avoiding it in the future.
ANd posting the numbers from under the seat 13A???????? is also a lot more help than the numbers on the sticker on the side of the hood LTX1040