Need some quick advice, did I get screwed?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
John,
It is not a toaster that the factory put in a box then you take it out in your nice cosy kitchen.
It should have been run & tested at the factory then shipped to the store where it should have been run & tested again.
When i was working on the Leyland production line the speedos mostly had 999,900 miles on the clock.
I queried this as I was a student and was informed that it was to allow for delivery & testing.
Some came through with anything up to -1000 miles on the clock and this was because they were going to remote dealers who only order a couple of cars a year so the car were driven to the dealer by pensioners who got paid a flat fee + accomodation to deliver the cars.
I have been told the new electronic ones have a one use only reset function to zero all reading when a new car is delivered.

As Illengine noted, the local big glass front sits on 2 acres.
The workshop, sales rooms & car park take up about 1/2 the site , the rest is a grassed mound where the mowers are driven out onto daily for display and also used to test repairs and to demo mowers on.
Customers buy the mower that they ( and every one else ) drove around the mound then the workshop preps a new mower to take it's place.
They do this because the mower the customer gets, is the mower they drove around and accepted thus no chance of a hurried technician forgetting to add oil, check blades were tight or leveling the deck before it was despatched to the new owners on a tilt tray so if it arrives damaged the claim is against the tow truck driver.
They do however replace the blades and keep them to go on the new demo mower ( which are sharpened to a knife edge to make the cut better ) .
The local JD dealer does similar.
A mower shop is not like a car yard where they might sell 50 of each model every year so they can afford to keep a demo of each model.
Even more so if they are selling new vehicles directly off the production line as the only cars in the yard are the demos.
A mower shop would be lucky to sell 50 ride ons a single season, across the entire range so they can not afford to have 20 demo mowers sitting on the shop floor all season.
They sell from stock, not against manufacturers inventory, so they order in what they think they will need on this ordering cycle and usually have 60 to 120 days to pay for them.
Thus one on the floor and a couple more in crates around the back is about it.
Space costs money so out back they are in crates stacked 2 to 4 high till needed.

Now big box stores are different .
Lowes probably sell 100 a week, but the one on the floor is usuually the only one they have so you look at it pay your money and hope what turns up in the box from the factory is the same.