Replacing a tecumseh 22 hp OV691EA with?

T50

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for adding me to the site.
I bought a wrecked (White T50) zero turn with a Tecumseh 22 hp engine model OV691EA. After a lot of banging, bending, and welding, Its working pretty good now but the Tecumseh is about done. Leaks and burns oil. I would like to replace the engine. I am looking at a Kohler KT730-3012 23 hp engine. The shaft size is the same (1" x 5/32") I just don't know about the throttle, choke cables, and the exhaust tubes to the muffler. I am looking to replace the engine.
Does anyone know if White had a recommended swap for the Tecumseh?
Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:
By and large the mower does not give a tinkers curse what brand engine is in there.
The determining factor is the diameter and length of the PTO shaft.
If they are the same the engine will fit or can be made to fit with an extra hole or two.

What you will not be able to do is plug the wires strait in.
You will ned to buy some plugs & terminals from your favourite auto shop.
As for the throttle & choke cables most small mower repair shops stock bulk bowden cable if you need custom made ones.
However all mowers ( apart from Honda ) use simple Z bend cable ends and I rarely have a problem sorting them out.
The only time I have to put in new ones is where the old engine had a single control cable for choke & throttle and the new one has separate cables .
In that case I fit a universal choke cable cut down to the correct length.

The mower company specifies which type of control panel is attached to the engine so any Kohler could have a variety of layouts, although most used the std one as it made the engine cheaper.
Take the blower housing off the old engine, follow the wires from the plug to the engine then label the wires or take some photos before you cut the old plug off