Best Used Mower For Homeowner Use for $1000 or under?

badninja

Threads
  • / Best Used Mower For Homeowner Use for $1000 or under?
I'm looking to purchase a mower. I just bought a new house its setting on 1 acre of land. It's mostly flat but there are a couple of steep inclines around a couple of the ditches(I'm on a corner lot). Its a very clean piece of property. We just bought the house at the beginning of this winter so I can't say what kind of grass as its all been dead the entire time we've lived here. Anyways, I'm wanting to spend around $1000 preferably on a used mower as I feel like its possible to get way more for your money that way. I'm looking for something that is strictly for personal use that will give me lots of years of great service without too much hassle. I dont know much about mowers other than more power, wider cut, and tighter turning radius are all good things lol. As far as names, I really dont know what is considered good and what is considered junk and what models of the "good" names are considered junk. I always thought B&S made a good engine but after reading around it appears that's not the case, I guess. I have no idea how many hours are too many hours or how many are considered low. Have no idea how to judge a mower that didnt have an hour monitor or anything else. Also I should probably mention that I'm not mechanically "dumb" lol. I know my way around cars, workshops, and can work on mowers as well if I have to. So no need to explain silly stuff like carb vs fuel injection, diesel vs gas, or whatever else. I just dont know anything about names, new features, and whatever else with mowers.

So school me. Whats the best thing I can get used for my money? And what things do I need to look out for when inspecting them?

I should probably also mention that I'm looking for either a riding lawnmower or a walk behind. Of course I'd love a good ZTR but after shopping around I dont think thats going to happen. I have seen a couple in that price range but I dont know if they are decent or not.

Found a John Deere D130 in my price range with a trailer. Is that a decent mower?

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For that money don't expect much.
Clearing sales / moving sales will be your best bet to get a mower in good condition.
After that a freelance mower repair shop might have some reasonable trade ins, check if they will give warranty.

Mowers with a manual gear box will give you the longest service life , they go forever.
You can tell a manual tranny because you have to come to a complete stop before you can change gears, Just like a real tractor crash box.

After that a varidrive is the next most robust.

If it says Hydro any where on the machine walk away on old machines they can be very expensive to fix.

When buying used, the care of the previous owner is far more important than the brand.
A clean machine with no rust on the mower or deck is a good sign .

If you feel like getting confused then www.tractordata.com is a good place to go for specifications, original prices & manufacturing dates.

Don't be afraid of buying a very old mowr.
If it is still running well after 20 years then it will probably run another 20 with a little TLC.
If it is just running after 5 years good chance it won't go another 5

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Since you say you have some steep inclines I'm thinking something like a used Exmark Metro walk behind with a 48 inch deck. They can usually be had in that price range and are solid low maintenance machines. Here's one currently for sale online for info purposes. That one has a floating deck which is uncommon. You're more likely to find them with fixed decks, which should be fine for your purposes. A Craigslist search will usually turn up some candidates. Scag and Bob-Cat also make similar machines that you may want to consider. The older Bob-Cat units are branded as "Ransomes." You could add a riding platform (sulky) as many do with this type of machine. An upgrade would be a hydro-drive unit but I don't think you'll find one worth owning in your price range.

https://sleequipment.com/used-exmark-metro-48in-17hp.html#product_tabs_additional_tabbed

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
You might be better off with an older machine, get one at a good price, and rebuild what you need too a little at a time, just repair the absolute necessary at first. I had 3 mowers (still have the two black ones) as you can see, the 17.5 HP black one was $100.00 all it needed was valves adjusted, blades and a belt, new spindles, air & fuel filters and inner tubes for the rear tires, oil change.... about $148.00 ..RUNS GREAT !

The 17.5 HP red one I got for $60.00,. guy was moving and it wouldn't start, had to get it out (lucky for me) only needed the valves adjusted to start, bought new battery, inner tubes for all tires, blades, spindles, ALL belts, rebuilt the carb, new fuel lines, air & fuel filters, and a MAJOR cleanup, about, $ 235.00 , just sold it to my stepson last June for $400.00 (family ya know)

The last big black one (21 HP Twin) the first one of these I bought, paid $300.00 for it, but went a lil overboard after I found a transaxle for $79.00 then I decided to start rebuilding it entirely, after I saw how good it runs, engine only needed valves adjusted, new filters, plugs, oil change & filter, but then I rebuilt & painted the deck, and a boatload of other parts that I really didn't need, but replaced as I want to repair /rebuild the entire machine, ( still working on that, ) so in TOTAL so far on this one, I've got about $650.00, plan on finishing a few more things and painting the entire machine, I do my own repairs/ overhauls/maintenance so my labor of love is freebie. here's several pics of working on these things, if your mechanically inclined this might be the way to go, like the TV show.. Fixer-Upper !! .. :thumbsup:

View attachment 36322...View attachment 36323...View attachment 36324...View attachment 36325...View attachment 36326...View attachment 36327...View attachment 36328...View attachment 36329...View attachment 36333View attachment 36332View attachment 36331View attachment 36334

Personally I like the older Murray's because most all the parts are still available, and they're so easy to work on, mine are 2004 & 2005 models I wouldn't go smaller than a 15HP (no Tecumseh's.. parts are hard to find) I've worked on Brigg's all my life and parts are plentiful so I make them my preference, anyway good luck in your search for a machine. ..... Boobala

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd offer to avoid any craftsmans with manual gear box from Dana. Those are junk. And chinese junk to boot.

Craftsman used to sell good mowers, but they really went downhill. and Sears is reported to be closing too.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'd offer to avoid any craftsmans with manual gear box from Dana. Those are junk. And chinese junk to boot.

Craftsman used to sell good mowers, but they really went downhill. and Sears is reported to be closing too.

Most all the mowers after about the 2010 models (excepting some of the expensive older machines,) have been going downhill, I'm lucky here in Fl. because of our climate, there's a boatload of used machines available most of the year, and the mower graveyards are rakin in a fortune.

badninja

Threads
Thanks for the responses. I was figuring I'd probably have to go with a walk behind with a pull riding thing (sulky as someone called it). As thats the best thing I've seen in my price range. Only problem is I keep seeing them with fairly small cutting widths.. 36" or so. Would like to get one like that Exmark metro with 48".

And funny you guys suggest I get an old one lol. I have a Case 448 in the garage that I'm working on. It runs but the PTO clutch is worn on it and the blades wont engage anymore. Anyways, its not a great machine to have on an incline for a couple of reasons.. it tends to be top heavy also it doesnt have a certain valve to keep it from getting away from you on an incline(cant remember what its called). Only place I've found the clutch for it it's going to cost me about $70 to rebuild it. Which I will do. Its a great little work tractor for hauling junk around. Or I might fix it and sell it. Idk. I just figure I might be better off depending on something else for mowing.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the responses. I was figuring I'd probably have to go with a walk behind with a pull riding thing (sulky as someone called it). As thats the best thing I've seen in my price range. Only problem is I keep seeing them with fairly small cutting widths.. 36" or so. Would like to get one like that Exmark metro with 48".

And funny you guys suggest I get an old one lol. I have a Case 448 in the garage that I'm working on. It runs but the PTO clutch is worn on it and the blades wont engage anymore. Anyways, its not a great machine to have on an incline for a couple of reasons.. it tends to be top heavy also it doesnt have a certain valve to keep it from getting away from you on an incline(cant remember what its called). Only place I've found the clutch for it it's going to cost me about $70 to rebuild it. Which I will do. Its a great little work tractor for hauling junk around. Or I might fix it and sell it. Idk. I just figure I might be better off depending on something else for mowing.

WELL... there's always goat's, sheep, horse's, cattle, or... gravel, asphalt, concrete, or astro-turf .... :laughing:..:laughing:

Damn ! .. it happened AGAIN !! I didn't mean that. ....... OH YES you did Boobala ! .. We know how you get !! ..