Best Used Mower For Homeowner Use for $1000 or under?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Best Used Mower For Homeowner Use for $1000 or under?
Reality check time
1) you are on 1 acre - house-deck-shed -gardens - trees- carport/garage so whit is left 1/2 to 2/3 acre at best.
I have commercial customers who use Greenfields 30" 32" & 34" to cut grass on this sized property all day every day 10 to 20 yards a day.
You are not mowing the great plains.
I have 1/2 acre of yard and 3 acres of verg to mow around the workshop and if I don't have a customers mower to road test I use a 30" rover rancher II from 1960.

2) you don't want to spend any more than $ 1000 but want something with a 48" deck but don't want an old one which might need some fixing up.

Well I would really like the winning lottery numbers and I got a better chance of getting them than you have fulfilling your wants.

On that sized property throw in some shrubs and a veggie patch then you will only have 10 minutes worth mowing with a Lawn Boy and you should be able to do that for under $ 500 including the mower

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Reality check time
1) you are on 1 acre - house-deck-shed -gardens - trees- carport/garage so whit is left 1/2 to 2/3 acre at best.
I have commercial customers who use Greenfields 30" 32" & 34" to cut grass on this sized property all day every day 10 to 20 yards a day.
You are not mowing the great plains.
I have 1/2 acre of yard and 3 acres of verg to mow around the workshop and if I don't have a customers mower to road test I use a 30" rover rancher II from 1960.

2) you don't want to spend any more than $ 1000 but want something with a 48" deck but don't want an old one which might need some fixing up.

Well I would really like the winning lottery numbers and I got a better chance of getting them than you have fulfilling your wants.

On that sized property throw in some shrubs and a veggie patch then you will only have 10 minutes worth mowing with a Lawn Boy and you should be able to do that for under $ 500 including the mower

Well there's the best answer I read here so far ! .. tumblr_m577xwpoYc1r59uo5o1_500.jpg

badninja

Threads

We'll see. You start buyin lotto tickets and I'll keep shopping.

Anyways, I fail to see where your logic is grounded especially when a couple of people here have already given me some leads on machines around my price range that would "fulfill my wants" such as that Exmark Metro. Damned unicorns are getting more common these days I guess huh?

badninja

Threads
Let me know when you come pick this unit up and I'll treat you to lunch.

I'd definitely look at it. It's a little out of driving range for me though, unfortunately.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
The only real problems with belt drive walk behinds is that reverse isn't really much of a reverse and squeezing the turning levers can be too much for users with low hand strength/small hands. It can get tiresome even for those with a good grip if you have a lot of obstacles/tight quarters. A lot of people would rather just plop themselves on a machine. But with the out-front deck, good maneuverability and the option to add a riding platform, walk behinds are very efficient and versatile. And 48s are small enough to mow most areas yet big enough to knock out larger lawns. And they fit inside the wheel wells of most pick-up trucks! If I could only have one mower it would be a 48 inch walk behind, but hydro, not belt drive. I'm spoiled. :laughing:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Years ago my son had a landscaping business, I did a lot of mowing with him for several years, he used a 36in. and a 52 in. (I think it was a 52") SCAG'S anyway, they both had sulky's ( Jungle-Wheels ) brand, and those beat the livin schitt out of your kidneys, bouncing around and yes reversing, especially with a sulky was a PITA, and the repeticious squeezing of the handles, helped to my carpal-tunnel problem (eventual surgery). We all have OUR idea's of a good mower, but in the end, after all is said and done, HE has to live with it .. NOT us ! ..:thumbsup:

badninja

Threads
What do you guys think about this one? I am waiting on a response about it. The person still has it but they couldn't tell me how many hours it has. It looks to be in really nice, clean, and good shape judging by the pics. He's asking $800 for it. Whats a reasonable amount of hours for that Kohler? Other things I should ask about/keep an eye out for.

Edit: Well Crap, it wont let me post links yet so I can't attach it. Its a Cub Cadet LTX1050 50in 24HP V-Twin Kohler Hydrostatic Drive. If you google it you can find a link to it on Home Depot. That's what I was trying to link here.

badninja

Threads
I recommend you research the Kohler Courage engine. http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/search.php?searchid=6589879

You'd be better off with that mower variant with the Kawi engine IMO.

That link isnt taking me to anything. But after a quick google search, I see its definitely an engine with a bad rep. Unfortunately the one I'm looking at is the only one this person has. So a kawasaki isnt any option atm unless another one pops up. Is that Courage whats in the one I'm looking at?