Cub turning problems

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Okay, looked at the belts today, the drive belt is ate up, and the trans belt looks ok, BUT, i noticed whenever you turn the mower,
iplimage.php

The transmission belt slips around PN 47 pulley. and once it does that, the mower slowly halts to a stop.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Time to check all the mounting points on the rear end. One or two may be broken or loose.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
By the way, you get the weirdest problems.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Okay, looked at the belts today, the drive belt is ate up, and the trans belt looks ok, BUT, i noticed whenever you turn the mower,
iplimage.php

The transmission belt slips around PN 47 pulley. and once it does that, the mower slowly halts to a stop.

Remove the upper belt and check that the pulley # 47 can in fact turn and it is not frozen on the bearing (very common ).
Are you sure the brake is free and the wheels can turn ?
Check by removing the top belt ( which is stuffed in any case ) and turn the tranny pulley.
Both wheels should turn in the same direction if it is in gear.
Double check the spring tensioning pulley # 47 it should be very strong.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Thanks Bert, I'll do that. I went ahead and ordered both belts, The belt on trans has as far as i know NEVER been replaced.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wanna know how many people swear that their mower only had 1 belt & I have overcharged them when I billed them for 3 ?
I even had an ex-customer who double checked by ordering a full belt kit from my competitor and then tripple checked by doing the same from a branded dealer before he would pay me.
Then he claimed I has used inferiour belts cause they were 2/3 the price of the local guy and 1/3 the price from the branded dealer so he wanted a warranty on the belts.
I replied that he would get a new mower warranty on belts- none but if he did not like what I installed I would fit whatever he gave me for free if they break.
So when he finally picked up the mower I told him to go & don't come back .
And believe it or not he has tried to book his morew in twice for a service since then.

cruzenmike

Threads
Could the issue of slowing down actually be a steering problem? Drag on the front wheels from bad bushings could slow you down. With the !owner being that old, it is likely that they are worn and should be replaced. If you can jack up the front end and see how much play there is on the front axles.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Didnt think about that. I'll check it.