Need Suggestions on a new riding mower

mmitsch

Forum Newbie
Threads
We had a house fire and lost our 42" Riding Mower in it. It was my pride and joy -- it was not too special in the bigger world -- it was a 17hp Tecumseh and said Yard Machine on it. I think it was produced by MTD. The engine went out in it a few years ago due to lack of oil and I replaced it myself with a used 16hp Tecumseh.

Anyway, it got killed in a fire.

We are soon moving into our newly rebuilt house and I need to get a mower. I think a 42" deck is the biggest and I have NO idea what to buy. Could some of you give me some tips? Of utmost importance is reliability, ease of maintenance and availability of parts (i.e. - Tecumseh went out of business and it's hard to get stuff) as well as fair pricing and good performance.

I am tempted to go to Sears to look but figured there is obviously folks who know LOTS more than me on this subject who can give tips on the types to buy and places to get them.

If you have a used mower let me know too.

Thanks!

Mike

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mike- Sorry to hear of your loss. That bites.

my .02, I used to go to Sears, but they are supposedly going under, I believe. And last riding mower I bought there was of poor chinese quality. I was so let down by it, I just sold it off. You can find better.

I could plug my current mower, but that's just my opinion. I guess what would be helpful is what is your yard size & conditions, hilly or flat, need more details.

mmitsch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mike- Sorry to hear of your loss. That bites.

my .02, I used to go to Sears, but they are supposedly going under, I believe. And last riding mower I bought there was of poor chinese quality. I was so let down by it, I just sold it off. You can find better.

I could plug my current mower, but that's just my opinion. I guess what would be helpful is what is your yard size & conditions, hilly or flat, need more details.

Thanks for your reply!

Too bad about Sears - used to be a great place.

Our yard is flat, front & back. Front is about 100’ X 50’. Back is a little less. Biggest deck we can fit through the gate is 42”.

Let me know your thoughts & thanks!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tell me about it on Sears, I have mucho Craftsman (Made in America) Hand tools that are old, but if I break any I can only get a chinese replacement.

Neighbor has been running a 42" Cub Cadet lawn tractor for about 10 years, & has told me he is still more than pleased with it.

It is hydro tranny, & he had to have that repaired/replaced.

I think if I wanted to keep it simple, I would go for a stick shift lawn tractor. Those are belt driven.

Not sure if you are even thinking about zero turn mowers ?

cruzenmike

Threads
You have so many options in the 42" range, covering probably a dozen or so manufacturers. At the end of the day, you have a budget and a proclivity towards MTD equipment. A Cub Cadet XT1 LT42 for $1499 comes with an 18hp single cylinder, 42" stamped deck, LED headlights, good steering and a 3yr warranty. Anything John Deere around that price will only have a 2 year warranty. If you go Troy-Bilt, you are just buying another MTD machine. Husqvarna is not bad, but I think the overall build quality of the Cub Cadet is better at that price point. If you want to get into a ZTR, the Toro S4225 is a good start, or the Ariens Ikon X 42 which are both under $3000. Again, you have so many options out there. It's too bad you didn't ask this question a month ago when John Deere had their X300 mowers on sale for $500 off; could have had one for $2500 plus tax.