Kohler Series II 19HP PTO

SimonH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,
I have a Kohler KT 19HP series II fitted to my Ariens (in place of the old 18HP). The engine is missing the front PTO clutch (basically a bare shaft comes out of the front engine stop plate). Can anyone tell me the correct part number or a suitable OEM equivalent so I can finish my tractor

Many thanks

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
We need the model number of the engine and mower to help. Did you transfer the front shaft off the old engine or did it come with the engine? Single pulley PTO or double pulley?

SimonH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Chuck,
Thanks for the reply, I got the tractor with the motor already fitted, although I have a serial number I don't have a decal plate with the model which is why i'm struggling.

I believe that the shaft is the one that was in the 19HP engine and not transplanted from the old 18hp. from the stickers that are on the motor I can see it is a series two twin power pack but that's it.

The serial number starts 140 so I believe it is a 1984 but again I have no idea.

I measured the output shaft and it appears to be around 28mm or 1 1/8th inch

Simon

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like the first engine was produced 1987 and last 1995. Now I do not know this for sure. Now back to your problem. I found nothing for a front PTO but once again that does not mean anything. I would guess it was just a pulley attached and not an electric PTO. I can somewhat confirm this with a picture of the front of the engine. This is the manual I found quick and easy.
http://www.wfmfiles.com/download/Kohler_Owner's_Manual_Twin_Cylinder_K17_K19.pdf

SimonH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Chuck,
It is a PTO, it is used to drive the cutting deck. The serial number starts 140 which when I looked it up gave me the date (but there are so many intenet sites with wrong data I don't trust it tbf).

Simon

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Simon.
We need to know a little more if we are to be of any help
1) what is the model Ariens Mower / snow blower that you are talking about.?
2) is the engine mounted transverse with the pto pointing to the front & the flywheel pointing to the rear ?
3) is the engine mounted for & aft with the PTO shaft sticking out one side ?
4) did it have 2 pulleys on the shaft ?
5) if so was the outer ( blade ) one engaged mechnically or electrically ?

The actual PTO is part of the equipment, not the engine.
Kohler supplied it with either a shaft at both ends or just one shaft.
Ariens decided what size & type of pulleys would be fitted to the shaft.
I have seen these engines fitted with both a mechanical ( cone ) clutch to the impliment drive belt ( it was a rotary hoe ).
Or an electric clutch ( this was a lawn tractor ).

SimonH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Simon.
We need to know a little more if we are to be of any help
1) what is the model Ariens Mower / snow blower that you are talking about.?

It is an Ariens GT18 with a Kohler 19HP retrofitted, I understand the front PTO drives the lawn cutting deck which is what I want

2) is the engine mounted transverse with the pto pointing to the front & the flywheel pointing to the rear ?

Yes

3) is the engine mounted for & aft with the PTO shaft sticking out one side ?

No, the is a PTO on the front (missing) and a shaft that goes to the rear with a spate PTO for rear attachments

4) did it have 2 pulleys on the shaft ?

Unknown as the front shaft is currently bare after the engine, there is a tensioning pulley underneath and a splined shaft to provide power to the cutting deck

5) if so was the outer ( blade ) one engaged mechnically or electrically ?

It was actuated by a pull switch which appears to be electrical, I don't have much knowledge of this sort if thing but can see wires coming from the back of the pull instead of a cable

Thanks for the help

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Rear PTO: independent
Clutch: electric
Front PTO: independent
Clutch: electric
Front RPM: 3600
Found your clutch part number and price.
03199000 Clutch $611.95

I found 2 other possible clutches. Both higher than the first.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ariens 53114100

CLUTCH ASSEMBLY 1-1/8 BORE

Your price: $779.76

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi Chuck,
It is a PTO, it is used to drive the cutting deck. The serial number starts 140 which when I looked it up gave me the date (but there are so many intenet sites with wrong data I don't trust it tbf).

Simon

I trust very little also.