honda gcv160 no spark

bschuman4

Forum Newbie
Threads
the last time this mower was used it shut off by it self and would not restart. checked and no spark. I pulled the wire on the coil and it fired right up. I replaced the coil with oem coil hooked it all up and the same problem no spark and when I pull the wire and again it fired right up if someone knows why I will be eternally grateful.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
One of the safety switches is not working.

bschuman4

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you I've been told check the brake cable micro switch sound reasonable

Threads
Yes a bad switch or a contact to ground is keeping the coil from firing... When you take the wire off the coil it's no longer grounded and fires ...

Why did you buy a new coil when the one you had was good ??? Look for a scrape in the coil wire going to the kill switch........

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
WE need to know what the GCV160 is on.
There can be multiple switches.
Behind the throttle plate will be the main on-off switch activated by the throttle cable or by a separate cable if it has a bail fitted to the handlebars, or is a fixed speed model.
On some models there is also an oil level switch which shuts down if the oil level get to low .
If it has a flywheel brake then the switch will be under the blower cover and that one works backwards and some mowers have all 3 fitted

bschuman4

Forum Newbie
Threads
I thank you all the gcv160 is mounted on a Husqvarna hu700h mower. I bought the new coil because I thought that it was bad when I pulled the wire and it fired. My diagnosis skill lack some

bschuman4

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll check the wire nice if it were simple this mower does not have an on off switch and no throttle cable if that helps

Threads
Your mower has a set throttle. but you should have a bail handle when you let go of it it stops your engine..........

bschuman4

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes the mower has set throttle and the bail on the handle when I pull the wire off the coil and the engine starts it will not shut off when the bail is released

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
remove the blower housing and follow the wire from the bail.
It should pull back a brake that rubs on the flywheel and the other end of the lever should bear against a micro switch.
That is where your problem is.
Alternatively follow the thin wire from the coil.