Hit a stump, mower died, need help troubleshooting please.

AFProdigy

Threads
  • / Hit a stump, mower died, need help troubleshooting please.
I had already checked the bolts that mount the engine to the frame. They are good.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
*sigh*

Thank you for the advice.

I did not know to check the connecting rod bolts when I had it open. I did not check to see if the connecting rod was loose either.

I am not sure about the valve clearance (tappets). I applied assembly lube to the brand new tappets and pushed them up into their holes. I assumed they just sit in there? The old ones just slid out. I adjust the valve clearance with a lash (feeler) gauge to the recommended specs. I tightened the nuts and screws and then rechecked the measurements again.

I will have to order gaskets again to open the head back up and maybe the sump cover gasket. This is frustrating.

The gasket on the cover should be fine if you don't damage it taking it off, you don't need to remove the head to remove the cover so leave that there, when you say "new tappers" do you mean tappets or pushed rods, push rods are 1026 in photo and tappets are 45.

Attachments

• tapper.jpg
    tapper.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 4

AFProdigy

Threads
Yes, "tappets". I am sorry... typo. I put new tappets in. I think they came with the new camshaft. I did check the push rods when I did all of that. I took them out and inspected for warping/bends/damage. They looked excellent. As did the valve components. Good to know that hopefully I do not need to take the head off and deal with that gasket. If it weren't for the gasket cleaning, I would not mind it. Someone did mention that with it seeming sort of sluggish, I may have to recheck the valves though.

This is such a bad time for this. We are moving on 4/28. I am borrowing the neighbor's mower today to mow the jungle that has grown up in the back. Ha!

blackchevy3de

Threads
I had already checked the bolts that mount the engine to the frame. They are good.

I listened to your engine when you first started it after doing all that work, and beside it not running good I heard no knock, engine was running really rich, I heard your husband say how bad the gas small was, did you check the oil to see if any gas has got into the oil and thinned it out, if so that will make engine knock, last by the video I know its hard to tell but it looks like your lower engine pulley isn't spinning there is a key way built into it

AFProdigy

Threads
I feel like this will be a silly question, but here goes...

When I was putting the push rods back in, it felt like I was unsure of how it should feel when inserting them in their slots. One of them felt like it went in real nice and sort of "plugged" in to something. The other one did not feel the same and it felt like maybe it was just sitting in there and not actually seated in anything in particular. It reminded me of trying to line up a screw with a screw hole and not finding the hole. But then I just sort of assumed that maybe they just sit in there and don't necessary attach to anything inside. But now I am looking at your diagram and I see the push rods line up with the holes in the tappets. Do the push rods actually go inside the holes in the tappets? Maybe that is what is wrong... one was not lined up and in the hole properly? Also, I out the push rods in after I closed up the sump cover. Could putting the push rods in push the tappets out?

AFProdigy

Threads
I listened to your engine when you first started it after doing all that work, and beside it not running good I heard no knock, engine was running really rich, I heard your husband say how bad the gas small was, did you check the oil to see if any gas has got into the oil and thinned it out, if so that will make engine knock, last by the video I know its hard to tell but it looks like your lower engine pulley isn't spinning there is a key way built into it

There definitely was no knock at first. The knock did not start until after I mowed a little bit.

Initially, there was some black smoke, troubles with starting it up, and troubles with the throttle surging. But I made adjustments to the throttle cable and also put a different air filter on. I rechecked all the bolts for the carb/intake connections. One of those things seemed to help with those troubles. She starts up great now and is not noticeably smoking or surging. The only problems I have now are the knocking and sluggishness in thick grass. Especially thick grass going up a hill. Otherwise, she cuts average grass just fine and drives around just fine (plus the loud noise).

I will check that lower pulley. You are right, it was not spinning. I assumed that maybe that only engaged when moving?

Oh and I did not check the oil for gas, but will.

blackchevy3de

Threads
There definitely was no knock at first. The knock did not start until after I mowed a little bit.

Initially, there was some black smoke, troubles with starting it up, and troubles with the throttle surging. But I made adjustments to the throttle cable and also put a different air filter on. I rechecked all the bolts for the carb/intake connections. One of those things seemed to help with those troubles. She starts up great now and is not noticeably smoking or surging. The only problems I have now are the knocking and sluggishness in thick grass. Especially thick grass going up a hill. Otherwise, she cuts average grass just fine and drives around just fine (plus the loud noise).

I will check that lower pulley. You are right, it was not spinning. I assumed that maybe that only engaged when moving?

Oh and I did not check the oil for gas, but will.

that pulley should be spinning with engine running there is a key way built into that pulley,

AFProdigy

Threads
that pulley should be spinning with engine running there is a key way built into that pulley,

I think I worded that wrong. The pulley itself is moving, but the belts on the pulley are not moving (when in park). But as I said before, don't the belts only engage when driving? It drives fine, just sounds like engine knocking.

Also, I did note the keyway when reinstalling it. It would only go on if the keyway was properly aligned.

Did you see what I said about the pushrods in #95?

AFProdigy

Threads
By the way, I started her up to confirm that engine pulley was spinning. I noticed surging again at higher throttle. Grrr!! :mad:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like it's time to hide your sledge hammer...

The surging may smooth out once it warms up. It sounds like that's the least of your problems at this point, and it doesn't sound like the pulley is an issue either.

Sorry I can't help with your engine problems, but I suggest you not try running it anymore until you can get the knocking issue resolved. Hopefully one of the guys already involved will chime in soon with answers to your questions about the rods and tappets.