Hit a stump, mower died, need help troubleshooting please.

blackchevy3de

Threads
  • / Hit a stump, mower died, need help troubleshooting please.
Hi again! The mower seemed to be doing well when I started it today. I put the new blades on and decided to try to mow. I noticed a knocking noise developing. I am having a hard time figuring out if it is coming from inside the engine or outside. It is definitely around the engine though. I have tried to look for anything that might be hitting or rubbing, but don't see anything obvious. Everything feels like it is still tightly bolted on. Here is a video of the noise...

https://youtu.be/w9LBIKQq0kE

I started to hear what almost sounds like something rattling around inside the engine, but only when I accelerate. It is random and makes me envision something floating around in the engine in the oil. I could be wrong, but that is what it sounds like. I am concerned something else broke in there or I somehow missed a broken piece of the timing gear or camshaft. Ugh. I will have to try to get that noise on video tomorrow.

The grass has grown pretty tall since the mower has been down for a while. I set the deck to 3" (what I normally use) but the mower struggled and vibrated pretty hard through thick patches. I raised it up to 4" which made it a bit easier on the mower, but it still struggled through thick patches, just not as bad. I doesn't seem to do as well as it did before hitting the stump and working on it.
It sound like a rod knock, but id adjust the valves again, because you say it has a power lose, rod knock wouldn't do that .

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could be knocking from the connecting rod, piston pin, or a loose tappet or even piston slap, I would be using a mechanics stethoscope to try and pin point it. check the valve settings again to start see if one is very loose.

blackchevy3de

Threads
Hi again! The mower seemed to be doing well when I started it today. I put the new blades on and decided to try to mow. I noticed a knocking noise developing. I am having a hard time figuring out if it is coming from inside the engine or outside. It is definitely around the engine though. I have tried to look for anything that might be hitting or rubbing, but don't see anything obvious. Everything feels like it is still tightly bolted on. Here is a video of the noise...

https://youtu.be/w9LBIKQq0kE

I started to hear what almost sounds like something rattling around inside the engine, but only when I accelerate. It is random and makes me envision something floating around in the engine in the oil. I could be wrong, but that is what it sounds like. I am concerned something else broke in there or I somehow missed a broken piece of the timing gear or camshaft. Ugh. I will have to try to get that noise on video tomorrow.

The grass has grown pretty tall since the mower has been down for a while. I set the deck to 3" (what I normally use) but the mower struggled and vibrated pretty hard through thick patches. I raised it up to 4" which made it a bit easier on the mower, but it still struggled through thick patches, just not as bad. I doesn't seem to do as well as it did before hitting the stump and working on it.
Also recheck that fly wheel nut make sure its tight

triumph65068

Forum Newbie
Threads
It sounds like you have little to no compression by your video, pull the valve cover off and im thinking you will find, a bent of broken push rod or rocker arm.ps let me know what you find

did you ever pull the fly wheel I hit stump and it broke the key

AFProdigy

Threads
Hello again! Thank you, everyone, for the advice!

Yes, I had checked the flywheel key early on when I hit the tree stump. I had posted pictures of it. It appeared to be intact with a visual inspection from the top.

I got the mechanic stethescope as suggested. The knocking sound is definitely coming from the main engine compartment (or flywheel) area. It is loudest within that part. I made a video explaining in greater detail and pointing out where I hear the noise loudest.

https://youtu.be/66-__IX-5eQ

I also noticed a wobble in the rotation of the flywheel. You can see that in the video. It seems almost in time with the knocking. May or may not be related. I am concerned that I bent something when tightening the flywheel bolt. I tightened it pretty hard, but was using a torque wrench to the website specs.

What do you guys think?

AFProdigy

Threads
Here are two more videos. I was trying to see if the flywheel was rubbing or hitting any where. I don't think it is. No parts of the flywheel look like they have been rubbed on. It is still the old rusted brown/orange color all the way around. I don't see any other components that look like they could be hitting or rubbing due to the wobble in that vicinity.

https://youtu.be/ltKwWJLeJzk

In this one, I try turning it on and off a couple of times to see if there is anything obvious.

https://youtu.be/PYNHbu4YeBo

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think there is no problem with the fly wheel, its just I believe the way it is from the metal casting, its time to take off the pan again (bottom) and check the connecting rod bolts are tight, if they are tight check to see if there is any play on the connecting rod, are you also sure that a tappet is not too lose.

AFProdigy

Threads
I think there is no problem with the fly wheel, its just I believe the way it is from the metal casting, its time to take off the pan again (bottom) and check the connecting rod bolts are tight, if they are tight check to see if there is any play on the connecting rod, are you also sure that a tappet is not too lose.

*sigh*

Thank you for the advice.

I did not know to check the connecting rod bolts when I had it open. I did not check to see if the connecting rod was loose either.

I am not sure about the valve clearance (tappets). I applied assembly lube to the brand new tappets and pushed them up into their holes. I assumed they just sit in there? The old ones just slid out. I adjust the valve clearance with a lash (feeler) gauge to the recommended specs. I tightened the nuts and screws and then rechecked the measurements again.

I will have to order gaskets again to open the head back up and maybe the sump cover gasket. This is frustrating.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
So you never took out the connecting rod bolts, ok I'll take other look at the post and videos again, and get back to you.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Before you take off the engine check to see if any of the engine to body bolts are loose, I am still checking and will get back...!