Hit a stump, mower died, need help troubleshooting please.

AFProdigy

Threads
  • / Hit a stump, mower died, need help troubleshooting please.
Well, other than hitting the stump that broke this in the first place... I just made my first mistake...

The wire connector that runs from the ignition to the engine got a little bit of motor oil in it. Any way to get that out and salvage that or do I have to replace the entire connector? :frown:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
the chart is helpful but just be aware that several of the specs on that chart have been updated over the last 14 years. Also some of the engines have been superceded to a new sump gasket material with a different torque spec than what is in the service manual, so pay attention to any insert sheets that may update what is prior listed.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks! I saw someone mention mineral spirits and also brake cleaner for cleaning. Is that ok too? I do have brake cleaner.

I found the crankshaft woodruff key you mentioned. It feels very slightly scratched on the side and is wedged in that slot pretty good. Should I order a new one or just get that one back in? It seems wedged in there sort of tight. What is the best method for getting it back in (and removing if need be)?

Going by the photo the wedge looks if its going up towards the back end, try and tap it back down it should be same level, has for cleaning spirits should be ok, but brake cleaner is a no no for me..!

AFProdigy

Threads
Good to know!

I went ahead and ordered everything, plus a new Woodruff key. Thank goodness for Amazon Prime and their super fast delivery! Should all be here by 4/3 or 4/4.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, other than hitting the stump that broke this in the first place... I just made my first mistake...

The wire connector that runs from the ignition to the engine got a little bit of motor oil in it. Any way to get that out and salvage that or do I have to replace the entire connector? :frown:

No just clean it you can use WD40 if you have it...!

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Like Ilengine says in post 43, just be careful and don't over do things...! you shouldn't have any problems fitting new seals and gaskets if you clean it all down first....be happy with it before you go on to the next step.

AFProdigy

Threads
Like Ilengine says in post 43, just be careful and don't over do things...! you shouldn't have any problems fitting new seals and gaskets if you clean it all down first....be happy with it before you go on to the next step.

I did order an inch/lb torque wrench. I already had one for ft/lb. I will do it to spec, just to be sure. Me being a woman with somewhat weak arms and a poor judge of how much is too much, better safe than sorry.