Hit a stump, mower died, need help troubleshooting please.

Barebuttminer

Threads
  • / Hit a stump, mower died, need help troubleshooting please.
AFProdigy;
Don’t use brake cleaner to clean internal engine parts. Use a low flash point solvent such as kerosene (lamp oil) or diesel fuel. WD40 is good but it is expensive.
Don’t forget to time the camshaft to the crankshaft, and then recheck it before you close up the case.
BBM

AFProdigy

Threads
Thanks, everyone!

Am I supposed to put loctite on the oil drain plug? It looks like there was red on there before. Maybe put some blue on? Or none at all?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks, everyone!

Am I supposed to put loctite on the oil drain plug? It looks like there was red on there before. Maybe put some blue on? Or none at all?

The "red-stuff" is called "thread-seal"... it is NOT loc-tite I found mine at hardware store.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Blue will be fine, there should be a seal (O-ring) on the bottom of the tube. "loctite is to prevent the bolt or screw from coming apart from vibration"

AFProdigy

Threads
Thanks again, everyone!

That video by Taryl is actually what I have been using since the beginning of tearing the engine apart. It is a great video. Very easy to follow... and amusing. I commented on it the other day (Amla General Contracting).

I just got part of my Amazon order. Should get the the rest tomorrow.

What do you guys recommend for removal of the old gasket? I have heard razor blades and I have seen one guy use a grinder. I would think a grinder could do some damage to the metal?

Russ2251

Threads
What do you guys recommend for removal of the old gasket?
Paint remover and small brush or even a Q-Tip works for me...especially if stubborn. Just stay away from plastic or rubber parts. Will be clean down to bare metal.

Threads
I get gaskets off with a gasket scraper, then if any is a bugger to scrape off then I hit it with a BRASS wire wheel... Looks like a shiny nickel.....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Scotch brite pads on the Dremel Tool