New Pony Operation - Accelerates Uncontrollably When Tines Engaged

crash69

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / New Pony Operation - Accelerates Uncontrollably When Tines Engaged
So I bought a brand new Pony ES. I have had a front tine tiller for 25 yrs and bought a new Pony. I have never used a rear tine tiller. So today I attempted to....When I pull the handle to engage to forward motion, the tiller accelerates to a running speed and jumps out of my hands. What am I doing wrong???? I feel very dumb, but I have read the booklets 3 times and it says nothing about a governor or way to start off slowly....any input is greatly appreciated!!!

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

Are you putting in a new garden/flower bed or tilling an existing one?

Set the depth lever about two or three notches from the handle, this will prevent the tines from digging in very deep. If your soil is clay or there are grass roots the tines will grab (since they are turning faster than the drive wheels) and pull the tiller forward out of your hands.

Once the soil starts getting broken up, you can gradually adjust the tilling depth to go deeper into the soil.

Forgot to add,,,don't push down on the handles attempting to speed things up, it just makes matters worse.

Regards

Jeff

Last edited:

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

The depth lever should be set like this (I'm using the second notch from the top, the top notch is for moving the machine, not tilling).

Jeff

Attachments

• DSC00098 (37).jpg
    DSC00098 (37).jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 13