New Member With an old 2 cycle that needs a lil' TLC

BigRedCCDually

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / New Member With an old 2 cycle that needs a lil' TLC
I have an old 2 cycle Lawn Boy mower model 10323, SN 200014090, that I love and use for a trim mower. The primer has given up the ghost a long time ago (the black rubber cover split and fell of while I was mowing and I didn't notice) and the fuel tank seems to always be empty when I pull it out to mow the next time even though it had fuel in it when I stopped mowing the last time. No noticeable large leak, are these common problems for older models? Maybe you guys, and girls too, can help keep a great mower running. I would hate to give it up.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

BigRedCCDually

Forum Newbie
Threads
Quick up-date, I found the primer bulb locally for $3.04 with tax, part number 66-7460. I've seen several YouTube videos on the primer assembly replacement so I should be good to go there, now to figure where the gas is going when it sits for any period of time.

Rick

jp1961

Threads
Hi Rick,

Your carb float needle is leaking, you need to replace the float needle and seat (an easy fix once the carb is removed from the mower). If you remove the cover plate on the transfer chamber under the mower several ounces of fuel/oil mix will leak out (not actually a must do item, as it will eventually burn off).

FWIW, a Tecumseh primer bulb off a small two cycle snowblower will fit on the plastic shroud found on a 10323.

Regards

Jeff

BigRedCCDually

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Rick,

Your carb float needle is leaking, you need to replace the float needle and seat (an easy fix once the carb is removed from the mower). If you remove the cover plate on the transfer chamber under the mower several ounces of fuel/oil mix will leak out (not actually a must do item, as it will eventually burn off).

FWIW, a Tecumseh primer bulb off a small two cycle snowblower will fit on the plastic shroud found on a 10323.

Regards

Jeff

Thank you for the information, I appreciate your help.

Rick

jp1961

Threads
Hi Rick,

You're welcome. Just be careful removing the carb, the governor spring (which goes from the airvane to the black plastic slide) is quite fragile.

Regards

Jeff

javjacob

Threads
You will need a new needle and seat for the carb. I will also highly recommend getting the Briggs 42.5 pilot jet, part # 801308. Another good thing to do is get the larger throttle plate, part # 98-7047.

I do all this to every Duraforce I come across since its so cheap to do and worthwhile. Also most need the gas tank replaced since the original tanks were known for leaking at the seam and they updated the tank sometime later.