JD Z540R or Kubota Z125s

kajundude

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, so I'm in the market for a new ZTR. My 05 hustler fastrak is leaking oil from the engine & transaxle, so it's gotta go. I am currently mowing 4 acres of flat ground. After shopping around and looking at many mowers, I have narrowed down to the John deere Z540R & the Kubota Z125r. I like many things from both mowers,as well as some dislikes. My main concern is the transaxles. The JD uses Tuff-torq , I cannot find any info on them. Can the oil be changed ?or is it a "lifetime" transaxle?
The kubota uses zt3100 which has oil filters and can be maintained ,like regular oil changes every xxx hours. Your pros and cons of each would be helpful, and your actual experience with each .thanks in advance

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
From the manual from JD. You can add oil.
"Changing Transaxle Oil and Filter
The transaxles on these models require no maintenance. If you suspect transmission problems, contact your authorized dealer."

kajundude

Forum Newbie
Threads
From the manual from JD. You can add oil.
"Changing Transaxle Oil and Filter
The transaxles on these models require no maintenance. If you suspect transmission problems, contact your authorized dealer."

what kind of life can be expected out of the transaxle? I am not familiar with tuff-torq. My current mower has hydro ZT2800 on them I got 13 years out of them mowing 2 acres .

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
These are built just for JD and are fairly new. No info on them yet except you can only buy it from JD. No parts to fix it like the EZT. You can fully service and repair an EZT. My personal opinion is do not be JD's guinea pig.