convert to electric start

bluenoser

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, new guy here looking to do a little work on my MF 10 garden tractor. It has had the motor replaced from the Tecumseh to a Kohler which is now tired and in need of a rebuild. Long story short an uncle gave be an almost new briggs 11hp (256412 model from a generator) to put in the tractor. It'll need a bit of tinkering to get right but should fit nicely.

My only problem is I don't want to have to rely on the pull cord for starting so I want to convert to electric start. I've checked and it has the mounting location for the electric starter, but the flywheel doesn't have ring gear on it. Based on the parts diagrams I've seen it looks like I "should" be able to buy the replacement ring gear and mount it to my current flywheel pretty effortlessly?

I'm reasonably competent in mechanics, electrical sometimes take me a bit to work around but a simple system like this shouldn't be too difficult. A starter that fits, a solenoid, ignition switch and possibly wire up an alternator and I should be good to go.

NorthBama

Threads
some generator engines have tapered crankshaft?

bluenoser

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes this one does, I've seen adapters online to address this, just wanting to get the electrical figured out before ordering one.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does the engine already have the alternator..?

NorthBama

Threads
There are a lot of vertical shaft engines in the bone yards. I an not that familiar with the horizontal engines if parts are interchangeable. you could compare parts by using the engine numbers.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Parts book is only showing one Crankshaft for that type of engine part number 491645

bluenoser

Forum Newbie
Threads
No alternator on it now, but they are available for it so I could add one in. The flywheel has the magnets so it should be as simple as bolting in an alternator (again if my limited electrical knowledge serves well)

bluenoser

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can't post links yet as I'm too new, but a google search for tapered crankshaft adapter gives some on ebay for $50-60. possibly better price if I shop around/local machine shops etc. So I know I can make something work on that end, just a matter of figuring out the electrical. I plan to rebuild the Kohler someday but wanted to bolt this on since it was free and since it was free if I ned to invest a bit to make it electric start I'm ok with that. Might be more than it's worth to do but won't have the time to rebuild the Kohler for a while and want to get the tractor ready for garden/yard season. Thanks for the replies.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are four type's of alternator for that engine so make sure you fit the right one...! and the right regulator.

bluenoser

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, how do I find out which one I'd need?

Edit, think I answered my own question.

thanks