Honda HRC216 Rear tire reattachment

MowDidley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Last fall while doing my final mow for the year, one of the rear tires came off the rim and jammed between the rim and the mower frame. I removed it and finished mowing without it. I am assuming that the tire is glued to the plastic rim assembly. Has anyone dealt with this issue before? Any tips on reattaching the tire and the best adhesive to use would be greatly appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Never heard of that happening.
Honda have an extensive warranty which might just go that far.
The tyres are not glued on, they are a shrink fit and a bugger to replace.
The wheel is HDPE and the tyre is rubber so getting any glue to hold both of them together will not be easy.
You will have to prime the wheel then use a rubber adheasive .
By the time you have paid for the chemicals and spent the time, a new wheel will be cheaper and as mentioned might be warranted.

jp1961

Threads
I was going to say look at the sticky note about tire replacement, but it looks like the photo's are no longer there (is it randsomware or photo bucket,,,lol).

Regards

Jeff

golfergordy

Threads
Those tires are difficult to remove & replace, so I'm very surprised that one came off by itself.

I replaced a tire on an HR215 wheel last year (possibly the same wheel as on your HRC216). Put hot water into a sink and place the wheel & tire into the water for a minute or two to soften the rubber. Use 3 or 4 screwdrivers to pry the tire onto or off of the wheel. As you make progress, each screwdriver is left in place where you used it to avoid the tire from slipping back off of (or onto) the wheel. You must use a lot of prying power with the screwdrivers, to the point that you think the rubber might split, and keep placing the tire back into the hot water occasionally to keep the rubber soft. No adhesive is used for these tires that I am aware of.

MowDidley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well it has finally warmed up here in Toronto and I am able to get outside and work on my mower. I filled a plastic tube with about 4 to 6 quarts of the hottest water that came out of the tap and dropped the tire in after cleaning the inside and outside of it first. I added 1 quart of hot / boiling water that I heated on the stove and let it sit for about 5 minutes. White the tire sat in the hot water I took a 1/2" x 3" bolt with 2 flat washers and three 1/2" nuts. I put the 1/2" bolt with one flat washer through the center of the wheel rim from the outside, and put the flat washer followed by the three 1/2" nuts on the inside of the wheel and literally hand tightened it without wrenches. I then grabbed the three nuts in a vice so that the wheel is horizontal and the out side of the wheel is facing up. I hooked the inside of the tire over one end of the rim and with two screwdrivers forced the other end over the rim. It worked surprisingly easy. I really expected a real fight but it took less than five minutes. I also had to flip the wheel over in the vice and straighten the tire as some of the edge had rolled in, but that was easy.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in and replied to this thread if it wasn't for you guys I would have probably just would bought a new wheel / tire assembly.

I just hope that the tire stays on.................we will see?

Again thanks

golfergordy

Threads
MowDidley,
I like your method for changing tires by using a bolt through the wheel and then mounting it in a vice - this stabilizes the wheel when prying the tire off or on. I'll be sure to do the same the next time I change a tire.

By-the-way, I recently obtained an HRC215K1 SXA, and I also have the HRC215K1/HRC216K1 shop manual, which says to use adhesive when mounting a new tire. After looking at the manual more closely, this statement about adhesive was only used for the HRC215 (which shows a plastic wheel in the HRC215 pic), but it said nothing about tire mounting for the HRC216 (which shows a steel wheel in the HRC216 pic). I guess this means that adhesive should be used with plastic wheels, but it's unclear if that's the case with steel wheels.