LT 1040 Engine Replacement

AxisCat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,

My Kohler Courage SV590 locked up on me at the end of last year's season. It had been sounding bad all year. I am considering replacing it with one of these from Harbor Freight:

Capture.PNG

It seems to have good reviews and the price is right. I know there would be some minor modifications here and there but my big concern is the rotation. Specs say the new engine is CCW but doesn't give a reference from which way you are viewing the shaft.

Does anyone have thoughts or advice?

Thanks,
Axis

BWH

Threads
I have had good results buying replacement engines from Small Engine Warehouse.com the have fairly decent conversion charts plus I have come up with a few incredibly priced re-power projects. This may give you a second opinion and price.

AxisCat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you BWH. I checked them out and they do have some options for even less. It will be hard not consider them. Thanks again!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Harbour Freight does not make or service small engines.
Predator is is a very apt name for a Chinese Honda clone engine .

Ask them about service information, parts like coils etc and you get told "honda ones fit"
So they are being parrasites by doing the dirt cheap bit ( selling a new complete engine ) while leaving Honda to do the expensive low profit bit, supplying service parts.
Honda abandoned the small engine market a few years back so will be ending supplies of parts for them in the near future.
SO yo had better buy 2 of them.
One to use and one to pirate for parts.

Nothing wrong with the engines, themselves. They were good when Honda made them and they are not bad now Harbour Freight commissioned Hei Fool Yew to make a few thousand copies of them in a country where you can steal any one elses hard work & research.

I can buy similar engines down here ( different stickers on them ) for $ 200 landed and clean up selling them for $ 1000, but I have ethics & morals so only fit Ducar or Loncin engines if the customer wants a cheap Chinese engine otherwise it is surplus engines from one of the USA surplus engine suppliers.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Hei Fool Yew

Hahahaha!! :laughing::thumbsup:

AxisCat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just wanted to thank everyone for the posts to my thread. I ended up getting a Briggs & Stratton from Small Engine Warehouse. And get this, I ordered it Wednesday at around 2:00 and it was sitting on my doorstep the very next day! I couldn't be more pleased.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Good deal! What HP is the Briggs?

AxisCat

Forum Newbie
Threads
19.5 Hp. Should get me a few more years out this machine.

NorthBama

Threads
Keep us posted on how it works out for you.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
BE SURE you put in oil ! I believe they ship without ! ..:wink: