725k2 oil leak

edwardwonnacott

Forum Newbie
Threads
Im new to this forum. I just bought my first grasshopper it is a 2002 725k2 with 61" deck. Im looking forward to spring to start mowing. The mower has 1280 hours on it and seems to be in good condition but I have noticed a small oil leak on the floor toward the back of the engine I tightened the drain plug but it is still there. It is not a lot of oil but I would like to fix it. It is hard to tell exactly where it is coming from as I cant see any evidence of leaking high on the engine. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and should I even be concerned about it? I would appreciate any advice.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
With that many hours it may just be "normal?" high hour weeping. If the sump oil level is not drastically falling it may be just a cosmetic problem, but surely someone who knows this model will respond. The usual drill for leaks is clean everything , warm up and watch , which is not always so easy if sheetmetal ,cowling, shields are in the way.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It would really help us if you told us the make and model of the engine. Include model and serial numbers. Every manufacturer has its own set of possible problems.

edwardwonnacott

Forum Newbie
Threads
The engine is a Kohler command pro 25 horsepower. Sorry I don’t have the serial number with me right now.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have to assume you have a model CV25S. Oil leakage on those engines were not common and if they did occur due to gasket breakdown. I would be checking areas around the head, valve and sump gaskets. I use an unconventional method of tracing leaks, but it does track down the source. Give the entire unit a very good pressure wash and dry. Unit needs to be very clean and dry. I then grab my bottle of baby powder and cover all areas I suspect with a good coat of powder. Needs to be covered white. Let stand until you see leakage and then trace the oil back to the source. Sometimes the engine needs to be running to locate the problem. Good luck, it may take some time.

Luffydog

Threads
Might also check the crank shaft seal on the pto side. Also oil filter might be loose as well. Also the oil cooler is lines. The oil filter housing has a seal behind it that also leaks when loose but the housing also leaks due from heat and viberations. Check those areas first!!