Vanguard Wiring

qtband

Threads
I need help wiring this 18HP Vanguard. This is how I bought it. I plan on using this as a powerplant for a 6x6 vehicle. Someone obviously had their own idea about wiring. I just need to get things in order.
Help please!

Attachments

• van 2.jpg
    van 2.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Van 1.jpg
    Van 1.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 15

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
None of the wiring diagrams on the link Boo posted are applicable to your engine.

Briggs put out a nice little book called " engine alternator repower guide "
Google it then download the file.
There are a few diagrams showing the 2 yellow wire alternator which you have.
The only thing you are interested in is the pin out for the ignition switch.
Pull the blower housing off and locate the thine (kill ) wire to the coils.
This wire is either open circuit ( run) or closed to ground ( off ).
If it gets battery voltage for the tinest amount of time it will fry the trigger circuit inside the the coils and they will be very expensive toast.
As you have no blades you do not need a PTO switch, but a Neutral & Brake switch would be a good idea on a vehicle.
They are interupt switches which go on the starting circuit
If you are really safety conscious type then you can put one on the brake pedal as well so you have to be stationary, out of gear , with the parking brake on & have your foot on the brake to crank the engine.
Lights are of course a simple toggle switch.
Dont forget the fuse, in fact one on the lights and another on the ignition circuit would be good.
Most Vanguards have a low oil switch as well.

Do yourself a favour and get some car blade plug blocks so you can not accidently plug the wrong wires together.

The ignition switch should have tiny letters cast into the back identifing the terminals.

qtband

Threads
Thanks for the help. I'll be trying to get this engine wired and ready in the next couple of days. Can someone tell me what the parts circled are?

Attachments

• Van 1B.jpg
    Van 1B.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 11
  • van 2B.jpg
    van 2B.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 12

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The first smaller one is a relay. The second larger one is the voltage regulator. I couldn’t tell you what the relay was used for, because we don’t know what it came out of.

qtband

Threads
I won't be needing the relay. Like you said, who knows what that was for. I did find out that this engine was on a commercial air compressor.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I won't be needing the relay. Like you said, who knows what that was for. I did find out that this engine was on a commercial air compressor.

When I see something like that "spaghetti-bowl" , I just wanna burn it and "sift the ashes" ( LOL ) ...here's a few very basic diagrams that should at least let you get the engine started ( if the carb has a shut-off solenoid that will have to be be wired in also ).....

BASIC STARTING DIAGRAM.png...ELECT  A (2).jpg...NEW STARTING.jpg

POST the numbers on this DATA PLATE ( model, type ) & we might be able to provide the original engine wiring diagram !!

1A INFO.PNG

qtband

Threads
Here are the engine numbers:

Model: 356447

Type: 0125 E1

Code: 06101011

qtband

Threads
I will be getting out to the garage on Saturday. Hoping to get it running.