Kohler Courage 21hp Twin Cam. Bad Cam? (Video Inside)

JonnyBlaze

Threads
  • / Kohler Courage 21hp Twin Cam. Bad Cam? (Video Inside)
I think most consumers aren't even aware that these are low end models and just assume they are the same as dealers sell.

I had this motor torn down in about 45 minutes total using a battery powered impact gun. Very easy. Could have had it back together in less time if it was still good and had all the new parts ready and this was my first time ripping one apart.

NorthBama

Threads
Its just my opinion the Kohler Command singles and twins seem to be good engines. The Courage is junk. Again it is just my opinion that Kohler has hurt their company by building such junk. Of course they still have the plumbing business.:laughing:

cmw

Threads
I find the Command series to be exceptional engines and very well-made. I also agree that the Briggs Intek is junk as well as the Courage in discussion.

I personally work on computers/electronics and see the same shortcuts to save a few cents per unit made. People buy this stuff because it is CHEAP and the CONSUMER is driving this. A commercial user would never buy a mower or computer from Wal-Mart. I have a friend who almost bought a small Snapper there a few years back. He said it got decent reviews and he has a tiny yard so it wasn't going to get much use. The thing that killed it for him was that there was no practical way to change the oil on this unit. It basically required removing the engine from the unit or using a suction hose to pull the old oil out. I can't see the suction method getting all the crap out unless you changed it frequently so don't like that either. Odds are the oil in such a unit would NEVER be changed.

They probably saved a dollar or two by not putting a drain plug in this unit.

Conor