Cub Cadet XT1 or XT2?

TSR6

Threads
Here's my story - I've push mowed my lot that is just under an acre now for two years. I'll still need to push mow the one lot line, and around some trees - but it's time to get a rider for the bulk of the mowing. My lot isn't perfectly flat either, it's a little hilly (heavy slope off to one side in the back corner, and a heavy rise in the front yard to the house.)

I've been looking at the Cub Cadet tractors. Specifically the 42 or 46" XT1 or XT2 - looks like the price different isn't much between the XT1 or XT2 - around $2-300. Is it worth the upgrade? What are the major differences here?

Are there any other mowers I should consider? Of course I looked at John Deere too, looks like TroyBilt and the XT1/XT2 mowers are exactly the same minus color and badging. Simpilicty looks good too - but likely out of my price range as I am hoping to stay under $2,000

Thoughts?

cruzenmike

Threads
The XT2, besides being available only at a dealer, provides you with arm rests on the seat and bearings in the front wheels instead of bushings, a high output battery, front bumper and possibly a different tire tread that provides better traction. I would definitely step up to the XT2 if I were you, especially since you then have a dealer to work with for any warranty issues or maintenance down the road.

TSR6

Threads
The XT2, besides being available only at a dealer, provides you with arm rests on the seat and bearings in the front wheels instead of bushings, a high output battery, front bumper and possibly a different tire tread that provides better traction. I would definitely step up to the XT2 if I were you, especially since you then have a dealer to work with for any warranty issues or maintenance down the road.

The dealer side of things hasn't been a concern, but that would be a concern having bushing instead of bearings. I can't imagine it'd take all that long for those bushings to get sloppy?

cruzenmike

Threads
The bushings themselves are not that bad to change, but as a package, the extra stuff you get with the XT2, you might want to have anyway like the bumper or the arm rests. I personally think that the XT2 is slightly limited in options as the XT1 seems to have just as many, if not more variants available to the consumer. It's a shame they do not make a heavier duty Hydrostatic standard on the XT2, even if it means passing that cost on to the customer. The XT1 and XT2 are priced so closely together anyway.

Rickcin

Threads
After doing a much of research pre-season last year, I decided on a Cub Cadet and bought it from a local dealer rather than a big box store. The dealer set it, adjusted the deck and delivered it. I went with the XT 2 that has the Kohler Courage twin cylinder.

So far, I think it’s a really nice machine for the price.

cruzenmike

Threads
I feel that the XT2 is a worth-while upgrade over the XT1, especially considering that you have a dealer network for support. The minor differences between the two lines may matter little for most users, but with everything, you get what you pay for.