Another Slipping Pony

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I did not turn it up on its side, I did sit it up on the back end initially.

Whoever replaced those belts torqued those nuts/bolts way too much. And they could have just moved that bar slightly by a 1/4" so you could get a ratchet on that trans pulley

Being under the battery it gets battery fume and also water drips down the battery box and fight on to the pulley.
Then you have the splined shaft, the pulley and the nut. add some moisture and your are at rust central.
If you overtighten the pulley bolt the shaft breaks.
I found that out the expensive way when I hit it with the rattle gun in place of the tension wrench..

huskerfoos

Threads
Well, I got the belts back on. I had to drop the transaxle enough to the left side and it allowed me to get the top belt on. Got it all back together, to have it keep slipping.

Is there anything else I can check, or any way to check something I haven't checked yet? Is there a somehow replicate this problem?

I did notice that there is a grease spot on the F-N-R side of the transaxle. 20180315_202529.jpg Could this be anything? Is it possible it slips being low on fluid like an auto transmission?

thanks

JJ

I am definitely open to any suggestions

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No the FNR is a simple dog cutch.
If they don't properly engage they grate.

You need to jack up & support the rear axel off the ground , start the engine let the brake off , move the shift selector from fully fast to fully slow slowly several times.
Watch the wheels they should spin faster & slower as you change the speeds.

If they do that OK then one of the springs is in the wrong place or the clutch is not fully dissengaging.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check the condition of the engine drive pulley. Look for a worn groove in the V notch of the pulley that can create a bottoming out effect with the belt preventing proper grip. I have also seen the same effect with a worn groove in the variable drive pulley, but that only usually effects one speed.

huskerfoos

Threads

You need to jack up & support the rear axel off the ground , start the engine let the brake off , move the shift selector from fully fast to fully slow slowly several times.

If they do that OK then one of the springs is in the wrong place or the clutch is not fully dissengaging.

Thanks. I will try this when I get home. But it's raining today, so not sure how i can get done.
I was using the F-N-R as a reference to the side. But was wondering on that grease spot. So, that's why I asked about it running low on fluid.

huskerfoos

Threads
Check the condition of the engine drive pulley. Look for a worn groove in the V notch of the pulley that can create a bottoming out effect with the belt preventing proper grip. I have also seen the same effect with a worn groove in the variable drive pulley, but that only usually effects one speed.

I will look at this also.
I am not sure if I have tested the different speeds out. Since this all started just before winter and I never got it back out. I will see about this once it quits raining .

Thank you

huskerfoos

Threads

I was finally able to get out and mess with it this afternoon. I have it up, and noticed and increase/decrease in tire rotation with each gear. I also noticed, that it does not take much effort to stop the tires from spinning.

huskerfoos

Threads

Nothing stands out to me with the spindle being wrong, but, I am not experienced enough to maybe tell the difference. I felt of it also, and you can feel a slight variation, but I was not able to get the belt to stall when I could get the tires to stop spinning. I hope that helps you understand what I am trying to relay to you.

thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you stop the wheels from turning. which belt slips ?
Is the brake on , off or disconnected.
When you brake the big spring # 21 on https://www.partstree.com/parts/troy-bilt/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/13an77tg766-troy-bilt-pony-lawn-tractor-2006/drive/ goes slack. Otherwise the engine & the brake will be working against each other.

There will be a switch on the brake pedal some where, put a cable tie around it so you can run the engine with the brake off and your bum not in the seat.

Buy some beer. jack up the rear end and put it on stands engage the drive AT LOW ENGINE SPEED and then get your friend to try & hole one wheel while you hold the other.
Look to see which belt slips.

I think earlier on you were advised to check the inside of the engine pulley for a shiny polished surface .
If it is the engine pulley is worn out,
V belts grab on the V sides , not the bottom, if the bottom is touching the belt it will slip under load.

huskerfoos

Threads
When you stop the wheels from turning. which belt slips ?
Is the brake on , off or disconnected.

The brake is still connected, but released and set into 1st

When you brake the big spring # 21 on https://www.partstree.com/parts/troy-bilt/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/13an77tg766-troy-bilt-pony-lawn-tractor-2006/drive/ goes slack. Otherwise the engine & the brake will be working against each other.

The brake is released. I was able to stop both wheels. Both belts kept spinning. There was some knocking type sounds. Only happened when I held the wheels tho. Also, the spring doesn't have any slack with the brake pressed, it stretches

There will be a switch on the brake pedal some where, put a cable tie around it so you can run the engine with the brake off and your bum not in the seat.

Buy some beer. jack up the rear end and put it on stands engage the drive AT LOW ENGINE SPEED and then get your friend to try & hole one wheel while you hold the other.
Look to see which belt slips.

Both belts still spun

I think earlier on you were advised to check the inside of the engine pulley for a shiny polished surface .
If it is the engine pulley is worn out,
V belts grab on the V sides , not the bottom, if the bottom is touching the belt it will slip under load.

The engine pulley end of the belt, is seated all the way. The variable speed pulley doesn't seat all the way.

Attachments

• 20180321_174708.jpg
    20180321_174708.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180321_181330.jpg
    20180321_181330.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 7