Another Slipping Pony

huskerfoos

Threads
Hello all. We recently purchased a TB Pony (13AN77TG) 3rd hand. I m unsure of the hours on it, but it was purchased in pretty good condition for a good price.

A couple of weekends ago, I had the kids out trying to get the yard cut, as it started to slightly sprinkle. Well, it started jerking and catching. We managed to get done. Just figuring it was from the wet grass. Well, last weekend it was doing it again. And it hadn't rained in many days.

I have looked here, but am unsure of what I need to check. I can't really figure out how to replicate the issue, unless I am trying to use the mower. Is there a way to determine if it is the belt? Or some other spindle/pulley?

Also, how many belts are on this model? I see a deck belt. But, when looking at a parts diagram, I also see 2 more belts. Does this thing take 3 belts?

I have found a few walk thrus on replacing the deck belt, but none for the other(s). Any insight on where to look for those?

thanks for your time

JJ

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes there are 3 belts, 2 for the drive & one for the blades.
Remove the battery and battery box and they will jump out & bite you
The pulley they both go around has a sliding seperator which goes up or down and changes the size of the pulleys.
If this sticks or jambs you get funny things happening.
The whole shooting match is controlled by springs.
From what you are saying I would expect to see one of the belts with a chunk missing from it or a deep pulley burn.
Both belts must be replaced at the same time, and when you see all of the rigger ma roll you have to do to change just one, doing them both at the same time will be a pleasure.

I drop the deck and stand the mower on its bum, it makes things easier to get at.
Photograph every thing before you pull them off and in particular where the springs are anchored.

Either buy OEM or Genuine MTD belts for this.
They are a different shape to standard belts.

huskerfoos

Threads
Yes there are 3 belts, 2 for the drive & one for the blades.
Remove the battery and battery box and they will jump out & bite you
The pulley they both go around has a sliding seperator which goes up or down and changes the size of the pulleys.
If this sticks or jambs you get funny things happening.
The whole shooting match is controlled by springs.
From what you are saying I would expect to see one of the belts with a chunk missing from it or a deep pulley burn.
Both belts must be replaced at the same time, and when you see all of the rigger ma roll you have to do to change just one, doing them both at the same time will be a pleasure.

I drop the deck and stand the mower on its bum, it makes things easier to get at.
Photograph every thing before you pull them off and in particular where the springs are anchored.

Either buy OEM or Genuine MTD belts for this.
They are a different shape to standard belts.

Ok, thank you

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Seems we need a lil more info, it seems your model number is incomplete, and also it would be helpful to provide your serial number as well, I did find this, parts listing but i'm not sure if it's the same as what you have, (you can try to locate yours with the necessary info.) Bert gave you some good info, ESPECIALLY ....... taking pics of things BEFORE you start disassembling things (springs, cable attach--points etc.) it will really save you headaches later , keep us up-dated ..... Boobala ..:thumbsup:

https://www.partswarehouse.com/Troy-Bilt-13AN77TG711-Pony-2007-Lawn-Tractor-s/254076.htm#

THESE LINKS ( MIGHT ) help !

http://service.mtdproducts.com/Training_Education/769_06667_700_series_riders.pdf

https://support.mtdparts.com/s/article/10584-1

huskerfoos

Threads
OK thanks boobala. It wouldn't let me reply to you directly because of the links and my post count.

I did not see this post yesterday. I will check on that this afternoon and edit the info.

I have noticed, when looking at belts at HD/lowes, all I see are deck/drive belts. Are they (drive belt) labeled differently? Or is it that some riding mower belts do both?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
OK thanks boobala. It wouldn't let me reply to you directly because of the links and my post count.

I did not see this post yesterday. I will check on that this afternoon and edit the info.

I have noticed, when looking at belts at HD/lowes, all I see are deck/drive belts. Are they (drive belt) labeled differently? Or is it that some riding mower belts do both?

As BERT stated ... buy ORIGINAL MTD or Original Equipment Manufactured ( OEM ) belts, buying any other "cheap" brands will cost you in the long run, OEM or MTD belts should have a Company Logo stamp on them, I know some packages appear to say belts are for more than 1 mower, well the belt may just fit a deck on some and the drive on others, a lot of belts are interchangable within the same make of mowers.

huskerfoos

Threads
The tag shows....

13AN77TG766 1D197B70220 4/2007
233644 000001

This is how it shows on the tag. I'm on mobile and at work, so not able to upload.

I do know the shortest, uppermost belt is MTD 754-0241a. But I couldn't spin the other belt to get a number. I did notice it had a lot of slack in it tho. Hopefully that's my problem

Thanks
JJ

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
The tag shows....

13AN77TG766 1D197B70220 4/2007
233644 000001

This is how it shows on the tag. I'm on mobile and at work, so not able to upload.

I do know the shortest, uppermost belt is MTD 754-0241a. But I couldn't spin the other belt to get a number. I did notice it had a lot of slack in it tho. Hopefully that's my problem

Thanks
JJ

OK HERE WE GO... Parts Manual ..( Hope this is right ) ..

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/mtd/partslist/769-01612.pdf

BELTS : ... View attachment 36185...View attachment 36186...View attachment 36187

you will NOTICE the P/Ns on the belts have CHANGED !! These pics are from (repairclinic.com) there are other places to buy OEM belts, but I have NEVER had a problem using the belts from here ! You can always check for latest P/Ns on the MTD site but you will need MODEL & SERIAL numbers .. be sure you write them down and store safely, ALSO : BEFORE you work on ANYTHING !! .. take pics !! ... LOTS of PICS ... they will save you countless headaches later, TRUST US on that !! .. Boo

I'll send my bill by UPS, .. it's way too heavy for the USPS !! ...:laughing:..:laughing:..

huskerfoos

Threads
OK thank you. I can't see the belt attachments for some reason, but when looking at the diagrams, the drive belt numbers are what I have found this morning also.

I plan on getting them ordered and hopefully putting them on soon

Thank you for the time.

And with this post, I maybe able to reply directly from a post with attachments.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
OK thank you. I can't see the belt attachments for some reason, but when looking at the diagrams, the drive belt numbers are what I have found this morning also.

I plan on getting them ordered and hopefully putting them on soon

Thank you for the time.

And with this post, I may be able to reply directly from a post with attachments.

Problem is !! the new correct P/Ns are on the attach pics you cant see ... here they are :

A: 954-04001A .. B: 954-05040 .. C: 954-04062 ... use these numbers to order the belts, these are the MTD new numbers !

Can't explain but it's this site that screws up the attachments !