Push mower for hilly lawn

MisterEdF

Threads
We recently retired and moved to northern FL from NJ and bought a small home with a small property but it is mostly hilly. When we moved we left our 2yr old HONDA for the buyers. Rather than spend $50/mo for a guy to mow I am doing it myself. ANYWAY, bought a used 2yr old Snapper for $80 in excellent cond and working great but the hills (75% of our property) are killing me.

Can anyone recommend a decent mower good for hilly areas? I really don't want to spend $700. Is there a "lesser" brand, or even a store brand that handles hills decently? I don't want to spend HONDA or SNAPPER costs just one that actually self-propels up a hill! The one I got kinda really needs to be pushed! :laughing:

cruzenmike

Threads
We recently retired and moved to northern FL from NJ and bought a small home with a small property but it is mostly hilly. When we moved we left our 2yr old HONDA for the buyers. Rather than spend $50/mo for a guy to mow I am doing it myself. ANYWAY, bought a used 2yr old Snapper for $80 in excellent cond and working great but the hills (75% of our property) are killing me.

Can anyone recommend a decent mower good for hilly areas? I really don't want to spend $700. Is there a "lesser" brand, or even a store brand that handles hills decently? I don't want to spend HONDA or SNAPPER costs just one that actually self-propels up a hill! The one I got kinda really needs to be pushed! :laughing:

You could try one of the AWD models by either Toro or Husqvarna. Toro 20353, Husqvarna LC221AH, both are around $400.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Good is seldom cheap and cheap is never good.
The problem is push & Sp mowers are designed to be light.
Light = very low ground pressure on the wheels
Low ground pressure = no grip
No grip = you push.
No two ways around it.
For grip you will need a SP with big wheels and a heavy base
That equals commercial and commercial = higher price.

Thinking outside the square the robo mowers handle the hilly stuff reasonably well and you definately wont have to push one of them
Other than that push up to the top of the hill and mow across the slop to the bottom.
OR get rid of the grass in the first place, put in some retaining walls and make a terraced garden.
pop lots of low shrubs in it and a couple of garden seats to sit & have a beer on while watching the birds & bees.
Mulch with 2" of heavy wood chip mulch over 2"of compost.
Buy a very long handle sprayer and spend 1 hour a month in spring & summer spraying any weeds that might appear throught the mulch.