Anyone know about the Landlord DLX?

cruzenmike

Threads
A local equipment dealer has a Simplicity Landlord DLX with 20hp Vanguard, 54" deck, 42" dozer blade and wheel weights for $1450. The mower has 550 hours and besides the seat being in rough shape it looks alright for it's age (assuming it was manufactured in 2000 or so). Are these machines any good? Should I be concerned with anything on it with that many hours, such as the engine, K71 trans or the hydraulics for the steering and deck lift?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
A local equipment dealer has a Simplicity Landlord DLX with 20hp Vanguard, 54" deck, 42" dozer blade and wheel weights for $1450. The mower has 550 hours and besides the seat being in rough shape it looks alright for it's age (assuming it was manufactured in 2000 or so). Are these machines any good? Should I be concerned with anything on it with that many hours, such as the engine, K71 trans or the hydraulics for the steering and deck lift?

Try sending a PM to (mechanic mark) on this site, he knows quite a bit about Simplicity mowers, .. Boobala

cruzenmike

Threads
Try sending a PM to (mechanic mark) on this site, he knows quite a bit about Simplicity mowers, .. Boobala

For some reason I am not able to PM mechanic mark. I found the Landlord while doing a search of equipment in the area and thought that maybe this might be good for doing stuff around the yard like rolling/aerating, hauling a cart and maybe using the blade that comes with it for snow and gravel. I have HUGE reservations about buying anything used since my LTX1050 ended up costing me a fortune from the first cut after I got it until I finally sold it (spent 1,100 on the mower and had to put about 900 into it in the first year). Anyway, I really need to be able to do more than just cut, so I figured I would try to find something robust that is not too expensive. I figure the Vanguard and K71 are both quite good, its the rest of the machine that I do not know about. Besides, if I don't end up getting something used in the $1500 or less range, I will likely end up selling the Exmark and buying something new that will do everything for me.

cruzenmike

Threads

Let me just throw a wrench in the gears too. The local dealer also has an Ingersoll 220 for sale for $675 that comes with a deck and has about 1000 hours on it. I told him what I was looking to do with it, most importantly move stuff around the yard and pull a roller/aerator. He suggested either piece of equipment. The Case is in good condition and appears to be pretty well built. I guess I am not sure as to which one I would expect to perform better and which one is likely to give me less problems in the coming years. Links to both posted below:

http://m.rosybrosinc.com/List/Tractor/ForSale/22722699

http://m.rosybrosinc.com/List/Tractor/ForSale/22061383

Both of these appear to have been sitting out all winter. I am not sure if either price is negotiable. Sales guy said I could start them up and ride them, but wasn't sure as to the actual mechanical condition of each, just that they run. Let me know your thoughts.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Simplicity Landlord DLX gets my vote.
Simplicity is newer with more power and a dozer blade to boot.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Simplicity Landlord DLX gets my vote.
Simplicity is newer with more power and a dozer blade to boot.

I personally have NO experience with either machine, but I put my trust in the Vanguard engine, plus all the "extra's included", ( which adds up to a good deal of cash output) I would follow with BlazNT 's advice ... The Landlord gets my vote ! ..:thumbsup:

cruzenmike

Threads
I personally have NO experience with either machine, but I put my trust in the Vanguard engine, plus all the "extra's included", ( which adds up to a good deal of cash output) I would follow with BlazNT 's advice ... The Landlord gets my vote ! ..:thumbsup:

Well I stopped by the dealer on my way home to look at both the Ingersoll and the Simplicity. The sales guy took the keys for both out with him and tried to start both but they were dead. They have been sitting outside since June or October of last year. I know these machines are meant to be exposed to the outdoors, but sitting for that long without being started and likely with fuel containing ethanol, I am quite certain I would have to do some carb cleaning in either. He told me that I could come back I a couple of days and he will pull them inside and have them charged up so that I can start them and take them for a test drive. Not a good feeling about these so far. I am trying to be optimistic, but I am on the trail of something new as well (see my post in equipment buying). I love the idea of getting a quality piece of equipment like these two at a great price, but it's hard to deny that sometimes you just don't know the history of the machine and what the fate is after you take it home. The guy did say he would throw in a new battery for the Simplicity and deliver it to me for $1350 which isn't a bad deal. I just have to wait until Saturday to see how it runs. Until then I will be shopping like a maniac looking for something new as well!