Help choosing a used Zero Turn Mower

Hail2pitt

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm looking to purchase a used ZTR for my home use. Have about 2 acres with some hills and trees. I'm looking to spend around $2,500-$3,000 and thinking better off with a used HD residential/lower end commercial than what I could buy new for that price. I previously had a 54" Ariens garden tractor that lasted about 7 years although I had many issues. The wheel would fall off occastionally for the past 3 years, now won't even move forward. I was hoping to be able to get 10 years without so many headaches this time. Here is what I have seen for sale locally. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gravely ZT 52HD - asking $3,000
Kawasaki FR691V engine, 528 hrs, comes with bagging system
Gravely.jpg

Ferris IS1500Z - asking $3,200
21 HP Kawasaki, 296 hours
Ferris.jpg

John Deere ZTrac Z525E - asking $3,000
Less than 100 hrs

Swisher Response 60” - asking $3,000
27 HP Briggs & Stratton 810cc Commercial Engine, 190 hrs

Bob Cat Fast Cat Pro - asking $2,800
20HP Kawasaki, 302 hrs
BobCat.jpg

Luffydog

Threads
If your wheel fell there might be a key way missing In The wheel and axle that makes it pull. Start it up mash the pedal and look over the side to see if the axle is spinning if so your prob be missing the key way.

Hail2pitt

Forum Newbie
Threads
If your wheel fell there might be a key way missing In The wheel and axle that makes it pull. Start it up mash the pedal and look over the side to see if the axle is spinning if so your prob be missing the key way.

Thanks. I had a flat and took it to a shop who gave me a new rim and tire and the rim was the wrong size and was never the same again even after discovering the issue and getting a correct rim. There is something wrong with transmission now too pretty sure. It is junk now so need something new for spring.

Luffydog

Threads
Or belt might be bad as well. Happy shopping for your new ride.

NorthBama

Threads
I am a Toro man but I vote for the Ferris.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bob-Cat looks well cared for. Is that a 48 inch deck? 20hp might be a little light if it's a 52. From looks and having one myself I'd vote for the Bob-Cat.

Hail2pitt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bob-Cat looks well cared for. Is that a 48 inch deck? 20hp might be a little light if it's a 52. From looks and having one myself I'd vote for the Bob-Cat.

Went and looked at the Gravely and the Bobcat today. The Gravely pulled to the right pretty bad. Asked about that and said could make an adjustment. Not sure why he wouldn't have done that if that was all it is.

Bobcat did look well cared for. Drove straight and was fast. Only issue was the seat. Leaned back and appeared that a bolt was lose causing the issue. Would likely need a new seat. It is the 48" The bobcat has 302 hours on it and he is asking $2,700. Im not sure what a fair price is for the 48" fastcat pro with 300 hours? He bought it used with 75 hours and said didn't know what it went for new. Think that is good price, high, low?

Thanks again.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
For reference my 2017 Bob-Cat FastCat Pro 52 incher with 23HP Kawi purchased last spring was just under $9k with tax and an upgrade to the suspension seat ($250). Granted my dealer doesn't tend to discount much. Personally I would jump hard and fast on a unit like that at $2,700.

I will say that I have traction problems with my unit on turns and going down hills but I think a lot of that can be attributed to the Zero-T tires they're putting on the new machines. I'm seriously considering putting Turfmaster tires on it like the one's on the machine you're looking at.

Hail2pitt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought the Bobcat for $2,650. Thanks everyone for their advice.

Looking forward to the grass growing again to get a chance try it out, rather than dreading having to spend 2+ hours cutting and worrying mower would break down.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Congratulations! I hope it gives you many years of trouble-free service.