Oil filter wrench recommendation?

Rickcin

Threads
Going to change the oil for the first time on a Cub Cadet With a 3 inch OD oil filter and guess I will need a filter wrench to remove tbe factory installed filter. Most of the wrenches I see have horrible reviews, does anyone know of a decent one to purchase?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Going to change the oil for the first time on a Cub Cadet With a 3 inch OD oil filter and guess I will need a filter wrench to remove tbe factory installed filter. Most of the wrenches I see have horrible reviews, does anyone know of a decent one to purchase?

Depends on how much access to the filter you have, most any place that sells auto parts have several types / sizes available, I have NOT needed to use a filter wrench in years, if you install the filter ( SPIN-ON type ) till the gasket just makes contact with it's sealing surface and then turn it 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn more ( just snug) it should not leak, and be removable by hand . ..:thumbsup:

Rickcin

Threads
Depends on how much access to the filter you have, most any place that sells auto parts have several types / sizes available, I have NOT needed to use a filter wrench in years, if you install the filter ( SPIN-ON type ) till the gasket just makes contact with it's sealing surface and then turn it 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn more ( just snug) it should not leak, and be removable by hand . ..:thumbsup:[/QUOTE

I agree about being hand tighten only and it has always worked for me in tbe past. Iwasjust thinking since it’s a new machine, often they are tightened using equipment when being assembled and are difficult to loosen for the first time.

I guess I could just try to loosen it by hand first and if that works, I will not need to purchase the wrench at all.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have purchased many of these(pieces not the kit) with good results most of the time.
oil filter wrench.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It will all depend upon what sort of access you have to the filter
Very few that you get end on access to,
I was very dissapointed when Kohler brought out their new range that abandoned the really great set up they had with the Courage singles.

Worst case puncture with a screwdriver and use it to turn the filter

BWH

Threads

I very highly recommend the K-D 3288 filter wrench, it is a 3 finger eccentric operated tool that fits on a 3/8 inch ratchet usually with a 2" extension or an extension of any length that will accommodate any difficult location an engineer can dream up for an oil filter. I have used most every style of filter wrench made and hands down this is in a class of its own, it is very well made and operates smoothly every time it has an operating range from 2" to 3 3/4" diameter filters. I have owned this for 8 years and it has stood up well. These are available at most auto parts stores where K-D tools are sold.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I very highly recommend the K-D 3288 filter wrench, it is a 3 finger eccentric operated tool that fits on a 3/8 inch ratchet usually with a 2" extension or an extension of any length that will accommodate any difficult location an engineer can dream up for an oil filter. I have used most every style of filter wrench made and hands down this is in a class of its own, it is very well made and operates smoothly every time it has an operating range from 2" to 3 3/4" diameter filters. I have owned this for 8 years and it has stood up well. These are available at most auto parts stores where K-D tools are sold.

I tried those and loved them till I ran across a filter with oil on it. It could not grip it at all.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have purchased many of these(pieces not the kit) with good results most of the time.
View attachment 36111

Same here.

In the past I've used everything from giant Channel Locks, strap wrenches, and two-bit China-made regular oil filter wrenches.

IMO, the end caps are much better. On the Dodge Cummins diesel, they're the only way I see to get the job done.

But you have to have the RIGHT one. When you get your new filter, take it with you to find the correct end cap for the job. I prefer metal but they make plastic ones, too.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
A set of Channel Lock Pliers works great in many cases to remove one and hand tightening is sufficient to reinstall one.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use same Poly-plastic end cap socket that fits my Evo Harley oil filters. Found in most auto parts stores. I'd have preferred metal, but the plastic was all they had, so still working fine some 15 years or so now.

& hand tight only, helps a lot.