Safety switch on a Regent 16 hydro

rkchainsaw

Threads
I have a Regent 16hydro. When you start the machine and let off the brake pedal it shuts off. I replaced the seat switch and it worked for a very short time and it is doing it again. When I take the switch out and work it by hand it seems very sensitive. Are these just bad switch's? Or is there another issue I should be looking at. I'm trying to download an electrical schematic, but there are some issues with the download. I'm also looking for a rep[air manual to download. Thanks
Randy

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ignition switch - seat switch - brake switch are a closed loop
so a bad brake switch will do the same thing as a bad seat switch.

Seat switches are supposed to be set to around 40 kg to stop young children driving them.
And ye the switches are just a sliding contact bridging or opening contact between two wires.
They are cheap & suffer from dirt, dust & water.

rkchainsaw

Threads
Bert,
Is that why we can't jump the switch with a jumper wire. Because they're a open loop? This is strange.

Are you also saying that it could be a brake switch? I looked at the brake pedal and saw that there were 2 switch's there. Im looking for a wiring schematic, but no luck so far. I just don't want to waste a lot of time if I'm going on the wrong theory.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
AFAIK Simplicity have all of their wiring diagrams on the web page.
Like Toro they lump them into one big book.
The lattest one I have is 2002.
It shows
Solenoid to ignition switch ( via 20A breaker ) Red
Ignition B to S terminals
Ignition S terminal to PTO Switch Blue
PTO SWITCH OFF blue joins to green
PTO to Brake Switch Green
Brake switch joins Green to Yellow
Brake switch to starter solenoid Yellow

SO when you turn the switch to start you should see + 12 on the yellow wire at the solenoid.
According to this diagram the black wire on the solenoid should be ground all the time so check it is ground.

Test the solenoid by bridging the red hot terminal to the yellow one.
Solenoid should close & crank engine id the ground contact is good.

On the brake switch the purple and tan wire are the magneto cut out wires.

They change the colours to make it hard for blithering idiots to bypass the safety switches.
Seat switchs can be a double switch or a single switch either open or closed for the same reason.

Fools regularly defeat the switches then chop of fingers clearing shoots with their hands , chop off toes getting on or off the mower or run themselves or their children down when the mower runs away.

But apparently it is a sign of a superiour intellengence to run a mower with all of the safetys bypassed.

rkchainsaw

Threads
Bert,
Thanks for the help. I'll keep you posted.
Randy