Should I sell my tractor and try to buy a cub cadet?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some guys are just have to learn the hard way, it' his time & money ! .. :confused2:..:rolleyes:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like a wonderful idea. It will give you a good lesson on how to spend money you don't have. Just think of all the fun of taking it apart and putting it back together. Let us know if you get it running again. This sounds like something I would have done as a teenager just to learn the repair trade. I also did the same thing on old junk cars but also lived on a farm with a lot of room to run them. Did I have a 100% success, NO.

Threads
I've pretty much given up on the 127, it's 2 hours away, it's missing the entire lift, the piston head is siezed to the head and the block, and all the other issues.

I do, however, have my eyes on either a 582 with either no rear end or no rear tires and a quietline frame sold together for 150$.
OR
a cub cadet 73, 150$.

Which one would you choose?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Anyone ever tell you ... you're a glutton for punishment..?? Save some more money, and buy something that at least is usable to start with ! ..:thumbsup:

Threads
I've definitely got my eyes on the 73.

No starter generator, the wiring is a mess, and the guy knows close to nothing about it, but I guess I'll take a shot in the dark and buy it.
The reason for not getting the 582 is simple: it's been outside so long that it has moss on it. Wouldn't surprise me if I pulled off the air filter to find most likely about 10 years worth of nature inside.
Plus the person selling the 582 seems like an older woman and after 24 hours hasn't seen my message, and the guy with the 73 responded within 10 minutes.

Still, 150$ for a 73? Seeing that my brother bought 3 tractors, a 1250, 1450, and a 72 for 300$ and the 1250 only needed a key switch to run definitely gives me hope that I can get the 73 running if I do buy it.

Threads
Sounds like a wonderful idea. It will give you a good lesson on how to spend money you don't have. Just think of all the fun of taking it apart and putting it back together. Let us know if you get it running again. This sounds like something I would have done as a teenager just to learn the repair trade. I also did the same thing on old junk cars but also lived on a farm with a lot of room to run them. Did I have a 100% success, NO.

Yeah, we have a lot of room here on the farm, and with my teenage years really close, like a year or 2 away, I think it'll be nice fixing up a tractor and driving it around, maybe going to some shows with it.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah, we have a lot of room here on the farm, and with my teenage years really close, like a year or 2 away, I think it'll be nice fixing up a tractor and driving it around, maybe going to some shows with it.
Tractors are for work. At your age I think you'd have more fun with a mini bike, motorcycle, go-cart, quad or something like that. Heck you can even use an old weed wacker engine and mount it to your bike. There are plans on the internet. http://www.instructables.com/id/Weed-Eater-motor-BikeFriction-Drive/

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

Around where I live we have the garden tractor pulls. With a little know how and money it sounds like you could have a good pulling tractor. Buy some used traction tires, used is better because the rubber is harder and pulls better. Then just do you own custom electrical wiring. My grandson has graduated from garden tractors to full size tractors and a lot of first place wins. It takes money to get to first place pulls see the competition is big. You can have just as much fun with a good puller as any motorcycle. Don't let anybody talk you out of your ideas but run with it and have fun. Just hook up to one of your brothers tractor and show his who is boss. When I was your age I had a walk behind Bolens garden tractor in which pulled a cart and I put many miles on it.

Threads
Bikes and sport ATV's are for thrill.
Plus tractors are a bit more useful.
Can you plow snow with a dirt bike? No.
Can you garden with a dirt bike? Nope.
Plus, the tractor community is generally a bit more helpful.
Example:
I asked how to change the transmission belt on a kawasaki atv. They told me how to do it with a dirt bike.

Asked how to change the deck belt on a mower. Person immediately told me and showed me pictures.

Also, as long as you have the cash you can do pretty anything with a tractor. Smaller engines like in tractors are good for beginners like me.

Threads
I might get the cash to actually buy a cub cadet, but just barely.
(Seriously, why are cub cadets always so Expensive???)
The tractor will be nice for yard work and pulling. Plus, I just love that feeling of joy when you get a tractor running and driving.