Briggs and stratton stray coil wire?

Dog250

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Coleman generator I am fixing. It is a model PM0544502. It had a carburetor issue. Once I solved that I lost spark. Once I pulled the cover off the engine I found a stray ground wire contacting the cylinder head. Once I pulled it away from the engine it started, and ran fine. The model of the engine is 194412-1112-01. Here is a picture of the wire.
IMG_20180228_203303898.jpg

Does anyone have any idea where this wire may go? I noticed this generator has no on/off switch, or any other way to cut spark. Were any of these engines designed to be killed with the choke? Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it.

Threads
That is the kill wire, It goes to the coil and when you ground it it kills the engine.... You have kill switch on there somewhere..... That is a short wire so look in that area for a hook up for that wire....

I'll look your model up to see where the kill switch is at.....

Let us know Mon Ami.......

Dog250

Forum Newbie
Threads
My generator doesn't actually have that switch. I don't understand why not because the model number is the exact same as the diagram you pulled up.
IMG_20180301_063213536.jpgIMG_20180301_063202166.jpg
I forgot to mention the coil has two wires coming off of it. One is already going underneath the carburetor where it connects to another wire for the low oil switch. I have looked around the area for a screw or something for the loose wire to connect to but I cant find anything.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If there is a throttle control it will connect to a terminal at the back of it just like on a push mower.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Looks to me like the terminal has pulled out of some place. There is a connector attached to it.

Walt Conner

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You don't have a kill switch mounted on the engine blower housing that is missing a wire terminal do you.

Dog250

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think where ever the kill switch was it is now missing. There is a hole with a bit of paint missing on the top left of the blower housing. Does Briggs and Stratton make a kill switch for this place? I cant seem to find any for this engine online. I should mention I just bought this generator less than a week ago, so I am not familiar with it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have a hole in the shroud, my bet is that is where your shutoff switch was located. You will need to buy a simple SPST toggle switch and mount it in that hole. The reason you have two wires coming from the coil is so you have two methods to shut down the generator. Manually, when you want to shut the unit down and automatically, if the oil level gets too low.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The parts diagram for the engine shows a rotary on/off switch on the head side of the blower housing.